Whats the heat capacity of NaOH I can't find it anywhere?

In summary, the conversation is about the heat capacity of sodium hydroxide and how to calculate it. The person asking the question is working with solid NaOH and needs to calculate heat generated using a formula. They are unsure of the heat capacity and are asking for help. The conversation also includes some irrelevant comments and references to outside sources for more information.
Roxy

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i can't find it on there? :confused:

Roxy said:
You are working with solid NaOH (not solution) ?! :eek:

Why do you need the heat capacity ?

Gokul43201 said:
You are working with solid NaOH (not solution) ?! :eek:

Why do you need the heat capacity ?

I need to calculate heat generated so I'm using this formula:
q=mc(delta)t
and i need c

Roxy said:
q=mc(delta)t
and i need c
How is the heat to be generated?

Roxy said:
q=mc(delta)t
and i need c
You didn't answer my (implied) question.

Are you talking about solid NaOH or a solution ?

If it is a sodium hydroxide solution, you can assume the heat capacity is equal to that of water (=4.2 J/K-gm).

it was a solution.

I asked the teacher and got it thanks everyone

Review this thread. This is a serious impediment to forums. Several replies have nothing to do with the answer.

NOTE:

Requests for clarification are always valid.

A DUMP answer is where you tell someone to Google it or Wikipedia it. They have probably have already done this and that is why their asking here.

The DOW reference is good because they make Sodium Hydroxide. A good library reference on chemicals is Perry's Handbook of Chemical Engineering. It has a table of Sodium Hydroxide heat capacities for solutions.

And NO, the density of a solution is NOT the same as water unless it is very dilute.

Swampie777 ( Chemical Engineer)

Related to Whats the heat capacity of NaOH I can't find it anywhere?

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

2. Why is the heat capacity of NaOH difficult to find?

The heat capacity of a substance can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and purity. This makes it difficult to find a specific value for a substance like NaOH.

3. How does heat capacity relate to NaOH?

Heat capacity is a property of a substance, and is not specific to any particular substance like NaOH. However, the heat capacity of NaOH can be measured and compared to the heat capacity of other substances.

4. Is the heat capacity of NaOH important?

The heat capacity of NaOH, and any substance, is an important factor in understanding how it will react to changes in temperature. It can also be used in calculations for various processes involving NaOH.

5. Where can I find the heat capacity of NaOH?

The heat capacity of NaOH can be found in scientific databases or published literature. It may also be provided in the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for NaOH. If you are unable to find a specific value, you can use an average value for NaOH or contact a research institution for more information.