Whats the chemichal composition of oak wood?

In summary: The CO2 diffuses into the wood and breaks down the lignin. This leaves a porous wood substrate that can be easily cut or drilled.
ForumFire
Whats the chemical composition of oak wood? I want to know because I am trying to cut wood by changing the chemical compound of the places that i want to cut it at by putting a chemical that would bond to the wood, and the new compund of my chemical and wood would be a gas.

I don't know if it would work or not, but i hope it would work kinda the same way as baking soda and vinegar combine and get changed, execpt the wood would be the "baking soda" and the special chemical would be the "vinegar"

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The main structure of wood cells is formed from cellulose. The cells are held together by lignin. If lignin is even partially removed the wood loses structural integrity and can be cut quickly or bent without breaking.

You should check out the concept of digestibility of lignin. Typically it is done with strong acids or sometimes a strong base. Heat can also affect lignin bonding - steam baths are used to heat wood so it can be bent.

Here is a paper on digesting lignin in softwoods and in Quercus (red oak sub-genus):
http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/36/4/768.pdf

For anything to do with wood engineering and chemistry always start here:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/
check out the publications area

Last edited by a moderator:
ForumFire said:
Whats the chemical composition of oak wood? I want to know because I am trying to cut wood by changing the chemical compound of the places that i want to cut it at by putting a chemical that would bond to the wood, and the new compund of my chemical and wood would be a gas.

You might try an oxygen lance. You apply the chemical (heated somewhat) to where you want to cut and a gas (largely CO2) is produced.

Related to Whats the chemichal composition of oak wood?

1. What elements make up oak wood?

The main chemical elements in oak wood are carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. These elements make up the organic compounds that give oak wood its unique structure and properties.

2. How does the chemical composition of oak wood differ from other types of wood?

While all types of wood contain the same basic elements, the ratio and arrangement of these elements can vary between species. Oak wood, for example, has a higher concentration of lignin and hemicellulose compared to softwoods like pine or fir.

3. Does the chemical composition of oak wood change as the tree ages?

Yes, the chemical composition of oak wood can change as the tree ages. As the tree grows, the ratio of cellulose to lignin decreases, making the wood harder and more durable. This is why older oak trees are often sought after for furniture and building materials.

4. Is there a difference in the chemical composition between red oak and white oak?

Yes, there is a difference in the chemical composition between red oak and white oak. Red oak has a higher concentration of tannins, giving it a reddish hue and making it more resistant to rot and decay compared to white oak.

5. Can the chemical composition of oak wood affect its burning properties?

Yes, the chemical composition of oak wood can affect its burning properties. Oak wood contains a high amount of lignin, which makes it burn longer and hotter compared to other types of wood. This is why oak is often used for firewood and in wood-burning stoves.