What's the 3d equation of the Alcubierre warp?

In summary: It's just the intersection of a plane with an elliptical disc at a non-zero angle with some special effects added around the intersection points.
Teslanumber1
What I mean by this is what's the 3d equation of the alcubierrie warp effect? You know when space is contracted infront of the ship, and inflated behind it in terms of z like this eqaurion for a rain drop z=(sin(2x+y)+sin(5y+2x))/5? Here's the photo if you don't understand what I'm talking about https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Alcubierre.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't a "3d equation" for the Alcubierre warp spacetime. Spacetime is 4-dimensional, not 3-dimensional.

A brief summary of the math is given on the same Wikipedia page that shows the picture you linked to. Have you read that page? Do you have questions about what is said there?

PeterDonis said:
There isn't a "3d equation" for the Alcubierre warp spacetime. Spacetime is 4-dimensional, not 3-dimensional.

A brief summary of the math is given on the same Wikipedia page that shows the picture you linked to. Have you read that page? Do you have questions about what is said there?
I'm not acfually asking for the equations that represent warp drive just the picture I linked which is only 3d dimensional, and which only is supposed to help visualize what happens with a alcubierre drive.

Teslanumber1 said:
I'm not acfually asking for the equations that represent warp drive just the picture I linked which is only 3d dimensional, and which only is supposed to help visualize what happens with a alcubierre drive.

That picture is not a 3-dimensional picture of anything. It's a way of trying to very heuristically represent what the warp drive does to spacetime, not space.

PeterDonis said:
That picture is not a 3-dimensional picture of anything. It's a way of trying to very heuristically represent what the warp drive does to spacetime, not space.
Yes but the actual picture shown is 3 dimensional is it not? On the x,y, and z plane? I'm simply asking what 3d function would represent that particular picture that just so happens tries to helps us visualize warp. Maybe it would have been better, and more fruitful to ask for examples of some 3d wave functions.

Teslanumber1 said:
the actual picture shown is 3 dimensional is it not?

Not really. It's an attempt to show the geometry of a 2-dimensional "slice" out of a 4-dimensional spacetime, and since the slice is curved, it is shown embedded in a 3-dimensional space. But the 3-dimensional space is not physically real.

PeterDonis said:
Not really. It's an attempt to show the geometry of a 2-dimensional "slice" out of a 4-dimensional spacetime, and since the slice is curved, it is shown embedded in a 3-dimensional space. But the 3-dimensional space is not physically real.
I'm really not asking anything about the mathematics, or physics, or intricacies of warp drive as quite frankly that's completely beyond me at my current education level, I am asking what's the 3 dimensional equation used to plot the photo that I linked.

Teslanumber1 said:
I'm really not asking anything about the mathematics, or physics, or intricacies of warp drive as quite frankly that's completely beyond me at my current education level

Well, this is a forum for discussing physics, so we usually assume that's what people come here to discuss. :wink:

Teslanumber1 said:
I am asking what's the 3 dimensional equation used to plot the photo that I linked.

I don't know. Since that equation isn't physically meaningful, I don't know if it is going to appear in any sources that discuss the physics of the Alcubierre drive.

Teslanumber1 said:
I am asking what's the 3 dimensional equation used to plot the photo that I linked.
It's just the intersection of a plane with an elliptical disc at a non-zero angle with some special effects added around the intersection points. There is no one specific set of functions; for example, ##\frac {x^2}{4^2} + \frac{y^2}{2^2} =1 ## being defined at ##z=0## only and the plane ##z=x## would produce the same thing (except for the special effects).

Related to What's the 3d equation of the Alcubierre warp?

1. What is the Alcubierre warp equation?

The Alcubierre warp equation is a theoretical mathematical equation proposed by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994. It describes a hypothetical warp drive that could potentially allow faster-than-light travel.

2. How does the Alcubierre warp equation work?

The Alcubierre warp equation is based on the concept of "warping" space-time. It suggests that by creating a bubble of negative energy density around a spacecraft and expanding the space behind it while contracting the space in front of it, the spacecraft could travel faster than the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the Alcubierre warp equation?

The significance of the Alcubierre warp equation is that it provides a potential solution to the limitations of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. If the equation is proven to be feasible, it could revolutionize space travel and open up possibilities for interstellar exploration.

4. Is the Alcubierre warp equation scientifically proven?

No, the Alcubierre warp equation is still a theoretical concept and has not been scientifically proven. It has been met with skepticism and there are several challenges and obstacles that need to be overcome before it can become a reality.

5. What are the criticisms of the Alcubierre warp equation?

There are several criticisms of the Alcubierre warp equation, including the fact that it requires exotic matter with negative energy density, which has not been observed in nature. There are also concerns about the stability and control of the warp bubble, as well as the potential for catastrophic effects on the space-time fabric. Further research and development are needed to address these criticisms and determine the feasibility of the equation.