What's so interesting about Chemical Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a second degree in Engineering, with a focus on either Biomedical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering. They are interested in bridging the gap between machines/electronics and biology/humans, and have a theoretical background in chemistry. They are also interested in nanotechnology, tissue engineering, and creating systems, but are unsure of the practical applications for chemical engineers. The speaker is currently in their third year of a Chemical Engineering degree and has found that the field encompasses a wide range of subjects, including those mentioned in their interests. They have had to memorize chemical functional groups in their organic chemistry class, but have not found it applicable in their chemical engineering courses which focus more on physics. They also mention
Grant_
I plan to take Engineering as a second degree since I haven't had much luck with my BSc. I'm considering Biomedical (somewhat high paid but jobs are seem to be rare), Chemical (twice as many employed and slightly higher pay) or Mechanical Engineering (highest number employed by a long shot). I really like the idea of bridging the gap between machines/electronics and biology/humans, but I also love how electronics and mechanical systems work. I like the theoretical background in chemistry, but memorizing all of the chemical functional groups makes me a bit nervous since it seems to me to be a lot.

I am interested in nanotechnology, tissue engineering and creating systems, but I'm not sure what most chemical engineers do in practice. Do most of them simply refine fuel, alter chemicals and create new flavours ? Do they really involve themselves with biology in practice?

Thanks

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the academic guidance forum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im a third year chemE. I am getting the impression that it is the all encompassing field. What do chemE's do? I've researched this question alot, and I've found out that ChemE's do everything.

It covers those subjects you listed as your interests. I am currently in a introduction to nanotechnology class and my school offers a nano option with the ChemE degree. I also had to take an intro to electricity and magnetism class and now i have to take an intro to electrical engineering class.

I only had to memorize a lot of chemical functional groups and mechanisms when I took organic chemistry. I havnt used that stuff at all after that class though. The chemical engineering courses are more concerned with the physics side of chemistry. Like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, engergy, mass and heat flow. Bioengineering is closely related with chemical engineering. At most schools its in the same department and most the coursework is the same.

Ill second what Nanjoe said about the extent of actual chemistry involved -- past my first year organic chemistry classes, i have not needed to know anything about functional groups, reaction mechanisms etc. I do have a class next semester on reaction kinetics which i assume will involve some organic chemistry, however like Nanjoe said, it has mostly been thermodynamics, fluid mechanics etc. Organic chemistry was actually one of my favorite classes, sometimes makes me wonder whether i should have enrolled in chemistry degree instead.

Related to What's so interesting about Chemical Engineering?

1. What is Chemical Engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles of chemistry, physics, mathematics, and economics to design, develop, and optimize processes for converting raw materials into useful products. These products can range from pharmaceuticals and food to fuels and plastics.

2. What makes Chemical Engineering an interesting field of study?

Chemical engineering is a constantly evolving field that is at the forefront of innovation and technology. It has a wide range of applications and can be used to solve real-world problems such as developing sustainable energy sources, creating new materials, and improving manufacturing processes. Additionally, the interdisciplinary nature of chemical engineering offers a diverse range of career opportunities.

3. What skills are required to be successful in Chemical Engineering?

To be successful in chemical engineering, one needs a strong foundation in math, chemistry, and physics. Problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are also essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important as chemical engineers often work in teams to solve complex problems.

4. How does Chemical Engineering contribute to society?

Chemical engineering plays a significant role in improving the quality of life for people around the world. It is involved in the production of essential products such as food, medicine, and clean energy. Chemical engineering also helps to reduce waste and pollution by developing environmentally friendly processes and products.

5. What are some current trends in Chemical Engineering?

Some current trends in chemical engineering include the use of renewable energy sources, nanotechnology, and biotechnology to develop sustainable and efficient processes. There is also a growing focus on developing environmentally friendly materials and products. Additionally, the use of big data and artificial intelligence is becoming increasingly important in optimizing and improving chemical processes.