Whats potential energy of a electron left in free space outside atom.?

In summary: The potential energy between charges is always the same, regardless of the gravitational force between them.
aditya23456
how does this change with introduction of another charge in its vicinity suddenly..and how does this vary as both charges repel each other after introduction of like charge..
btw I even wonder whether a electron which is outside a atom is in form of wave or particle..hope my questions are valid..thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
is my question valid..?

anyone please answer it

good question, just poorly written

aha..if u comprehend what I meant..can't u answer it :p
Well maybe my idea is represented vaguely But it makes sense..

For a single electron, the potential energy is zero. If you want to bring another electron close to it, you have to overcome their repulsion. The work done by bringing the electrons together is the potential energy of the system. If the other charge is positive, the work done is negative (you don't need to apply force to bring them together) and the potential energy is also negative. This means that you need energy to tear them apart.

You cannot introduce another charge suddenly (i.e. instantly) that would violate local conservation of charge thus the question is meaningless.

Electron outside of an atom is neither wave nor particle, much like anything else in QM. However it is best described by it's particle-like properties: it's localized and has momentum and position.

well this is interesting, suppose both charges are neutral..now there is a potential developed between them due to masses,how is this potential different to EM potential(well I know magnitude of these differ but what about other factors,like time dilutes in this case as same as that case(due to gravity))..and for this process how conservation of momentum can be attributed,does charge 1 move away while introducing like charge..thanks in advance..ur previous explanation was praiseworthy

A potential energy is always arbitrary - it is convenient to use 0 for a free electron, but you can assign any value you like to it. Only potential differences are meaningful quantities.

I don't understand the scenario of your last post. With (Newtonian) gravity, it is like electromagnetism. With General Relativity, calculations are much more difficult, and you lose the possibility to describe everything in a flat spacetime.

Related to Whats potential energy of a electron left in free space outside atom.?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to release or use in the future.

2. How is potential energy related to an electron outside an atom?

Electrons, being negatively charged particles, have potential energy due to their position in an electric field. When an electron is outside an atom, it has potential energy because of its distance from the positively charged nucleus.

3. Is potential energy of an electron outside an atom constant?

No, the potential energy of an electron outside an atom can vary depending on its distance from the nucleus. As the distance increases, the potential energy also increases.

4. Can an electron's potential energy be calculated?

Yes, the potential energy of an electron outside an atom can be calculated using the formula U = -k(Qq/r), where U is the potential energy, k is Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the nucleus and electron respectively, and r is the distance between them.

5. How does potential energy affect the behavior of an electron outside an atom?

The potential energy of an electron outside an atom determines its propensity to move towards or away from the nucleus. Electrons with higher potential energy are more likely to move away from the nucleus, while electrons with lower potential energy are more likely to move towards the nucleus.