What's meant by D dimensional gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ideal gases at STP and the possibility of compressing gases in other dimensions. The speaker also brings up the idea of quantum wires, wells, and dots, as well as anyons and their occurrence in two-dimensional systems. The question is posed about the role of dimensions in quantum mechanics.
erbilsilik
As Avagadro states: "One mole of an ideal gas at STP occupies 22.4 liters." This doesn't seems counterintuitive since we know that we need a volume to compress the gas. But how can we explain quantum ideal gases. Especially in my case, Bose gases. Since well-known example is Helium 4, we might think this as our classical example in 3D (even that I'm not sure how much it is true).

Interesting question that I came up with this is: What is the correspondence of 'compressing' in other dimensions? A few searchs takes me to the some definitions; quantum wire, quantum well, quantum dots. Furthermore, for my cases I found that anyons (type of quasiparticles) can occur only in two dimensional systems. I know that it's nearly impossible to give this a physical picture but maybe you can help me to undertand the meaning of the dimensions in quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
erbilsilik said:
I know that it's nearly impossible to give this a physical picture but maybe you can help me to undertand the meaning of the dimensions in quantum mechanics.

i think one can start to look at dimensions of a quantum system where on uses ' quantum mechanics' to explain its properties-then the picture is more clear- say one takes a classical oscillator and a quantum oscillator- and compare its properties or state - do we need extra dimensions vis-a-vis a classical oscillator?

What is a D dimensional gas?

A D dimensional gas refers to a gas in which the particles are moving and interacting in a space with D dimensions. This means that instead of the traditional three dimensions (length, width, and height), there are an additional D-3 dimensions in which the particles can move.

What is the significance of studying D dimensional gases?

Studying D dimensional gases allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of gases in different dimensions. This has implications in various fields such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

How is a D dimensional gas different from a regular gas?

A D dimensional gas differs from a regular gas in that the particles are not confined to just three dimensions. This means that the gas can exhibit different behaviors and properties, such as different phase transitions and scaling laws.

What are some applications of D dimensional gases?

D dimensional gases have various applications in physics, including modeling the behavior of polymers, studying phase transitions in complex systems, and understanding the dynamics of quantum gases.

How is the behavior of a D dimensional gas described?

The behavior of a D dimensional gas is described by statistical mechanics, which uses mathematical models to predict the macroscopic properties of a gas based on the microscopic behavior of its particles. This allows us to understand and predict the behavior of D dimensional gases.