What's Left to Discover in Chemical and Thermal Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between thermodynamics and physics, with one participant mentioning that thermodynamics is a part of physics and a subset of thermal physics. They also mention a major open question related to entropy and the arrow of time. The other participant suggests that this question may fall under the category of astrophysics and that most theories have already been proven, leaving room for only applied research.
absurdist
Are there any major questions yet to be solved in these fields?
Also where exactly does thermodynamics, heat fit into physics?Thermal Physics?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi absurdist! AFAIK, thermodynamics is a part of physics, and a part of the broader field thermal physics. I don't know of any open questions in pure thermal physics, but I'm sure there must be some. Here is a really big open question related to thermodynamics: Entropy (arrow of time); "Why did the universe have such low entropy in the past, resulting in the distinction between past and future and the second law of thermodynamics?"

Last edited:
I think your example is more Astrophysics, you'd probably need background in astronomy/cosmology, I suppose. I am beginning to think most of the theories have been proven to the extent of no further fundamental discoveries. Now there's only room for applied research.

Related to What's Left to Discover in Chemical and Thermal Physics?

1. What is chemical physics?

Chemical physics is a branch of physical science that focuses on studying the fundamental principles and chemical properties of matter. It combines the principles of chemistry and physics to understand the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles in various chemical reactions and processes.

2. How does temperature affect chemical reactions?

Temperature plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as it affects the rate of reaction, the energy of products and reactants, and the equilibrium constant. Generally, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in reaction rate, as molecules have more energy to overcome the activation energy barrier. However, extreme temperatures can also cause reactions to stop or change direction.

3. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the study of the physical properties of matter at the microscopic level, focusing on heat and temperature. It involves understanding how heat is transferred and how it affects the behavior of particles, such as atoms and molecules. It also explores the relationship between heat and other forms of energy.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to chemical physics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It is closely related to chemical physics as it helps in understanding the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. Thermodynamics principles are used to predict the direction and feasibility of chemical reactions and to optimize reaction conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of chemical and thermal physics?

Chemical and thermal physics have numerous real-life applications, such as in the development of new materials, pharmaceuticals, and energy sources. It is also essential in understanding and controlling industrial processes, such as combustion, catalysis, and polymerization. Additionally, chemical and thermal physics play a vital role in environmental science, as it helps in understanding the behavior of pollutants and their impact on the environment.