What's it like to be a professional physicist?

In summary, the speaker is discussing their upcoming master's degree in physics and their concerns about making fundamental research their career. They often doubt their own knowledge and struggle with understanding certain concepts, but have learned to enjoy the challenge. They wonder if this is a common experience for successful physicists and if it means they are not intelligent enough for the field. However, they also recognize that this feeling of constantly learning and pushing boundaries is a fundamental part of being a professional physicist.
Mik
Hi everyone, in a few months (hopefully) I will get a master degree in physics and I have been wondering a lot about making of fundamental research my career (if I manage to, that is). Sometimes I have moments of strong self-doubt since it seems to me that my knowledge is never deep enough and I feel like there's almost a fog I can't see through around certain concepts.
Now over the years I've learned to love the whole process of working hard to get around this wall and to overcome the frustration it carries along, but still I wonder whether this difficulty is the sign of a below-average mind trying to grasp ideas beyond its reach or that's just part of the experience of many professional physicists.
So what's it like for a successful physicist? Do you experience these moments too and reproach yourself about not remembering the logic behind something you had already understood?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mik said:
Do you experience these moments too and reproach yourself about not remembering the logic behind something you had already understood?
If you understand what you are doing, it is time to move on ;).
Seriously, that is the point of science: learning something that you did not know before. Ideally, something no one knew before.

Being a professional physicist is learning to embrace the feeling that
my knowledge is never deep enough and I feel like there's almost a fog I can't see through around certain concepts.

Related to What's it like to be a professional physicist?

1. What does a typical day look like for a professional physicist?

A typical day for a professional physicist varies greatly depending on their specific area of research and the stage of their project. However, most physicists spend a significant amount of time in the lab conducting experiments or analyzing data. They may also spend time attending meetings, collaborating with colleagues, and writing research papers. Some physicists may also have teaching responsibilities if they work in academia.

2. How much education is required to become a professional physicist?

Becoming a professional physicist typically requires at least a bachelor's degree in physics, although many positions may require a master's or doctoral degree. Additionally, physicists often continue their education through postdoctoral research positions or ongoing professional development courses throughout their career.

3. Are there different types of physicists?

Yes, there are many different types of physicists, each specializing in a specific area of research. Some examples include astrophysicists, particle physicists, biophysicists, and materials physicists. Each of these subfields focuses on different aspects of the physical world and uses different tools and techniques to study it.

4. What skills are necessary to be a successful professional physicist?

Successful professional physicists possess a combination of technical skills, critical thinking abilities, and strong communication skills. They must be proficient in mathematics, computer programming, and data analysis. They also need to have a deep understanding of scientific principles and the ability to think creatively and problem-solve. Additionally, good communication skills are essential for presenting research findings and collaborating with others in the scientific community.

5. What are the career opportunities for professional physicists?

There are many career opportunities for professional physicists, both in academia and industry. Physicists can work in research and development for government agencies, national laboratories, and private companies. They can also work in academia as professors, researchers, or science educators. With a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, physicists also have the potential to excel in fields outside of traditional physics, such as finance, data science, and engineering.