Whats is the normal age to graduate with a MEng in the United States

In summary, the age at which most engineers receive their degree is around 22-26, depending on the length of their program and any potential work experience or part-time study. Discrimination based on age is illegal in the United States, but may still exist. However, at 26, discrimination may actually work in an individual's favor.
Link
With normal I mean the age when most engineers receive their degree. I have a feeling that it is quite late compared to most other countries?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that one is 18 when graduating from high school, one would be 22 at the end of a traditional 4-yr undergraduate engineering program. Then if one did a 2-yr MEng program, one would be 24. If one did a 4 year program over 5-yrs, perhaps because one worked an internship, then one would 25 yrs old at the end of a 2 year MEng program.

On the other hand, one could take a job for a year or so, and that would delay the completion of the MEng program, or one could do the MEng on a part-time basis, which would also extend the age at which one completes.

Astronuc said:
Assuming that one is 18 when graduating from high school, one would be 22 at the end of a traditional 4-yr undergraduate engineering program. Then if one did a 2-yr MEng program, one would be 24. If one did a 4 year program over 5-yrs, perhaps because one worked an internship, then one would 25 yrs old at the end of a 2 year MEng program.

On the other hand, one could take a job for a year or so, and that would delay the completion of the MEng program, or one could do the MEng on a part-time basis, which would also extend the age at which one completes.

so suppose I graduate at 26, I will be considered older than average. Will that make it hard to find a job that pays well?

Link said:
so suppose I graduate at 26, I will be considered older than average. Will that make it hard to find a job that pays well?

I can't imagine that a year or two will make any difference!

They can't even ask your age, right? I thought that was illegal. They can only see what year you graduated.

Link said:

If money is the concern, don't get the master's. I think it's unlikely that any increase in starting salary from a masters would overcome missing out on the two years of income you won't be earning.

After you get a job, you can always pursue a masters part time, and on your employer's dime. It took me six years to finish, but that's the way I did it. Your mileage may vary.

By the way, only someone in their twenties thinks there's any difference between being 24 and being 26. :smile:

Hepth said:
They can't even ask your age, right? I thought that was illegal.
Who are 'they'? Why would that be illegal?

Landau said:
Who are 'they'? Why would that be illegal?

Who do you think? :smile: Your employers! And why would they ask your age?

In the U.S., most job applications only ask you if you are over 18 or not.

I don't see why age would make any difference in salary? Affirmative action laws protect against all types of discrimination, including age. (U.S.)

Saladsamurai said:
I don't see why age would make any difference in salary? Affirmative action laws protect against all types of discrimination, including age. (U.S.)

Well, that might be true in U.S., but I live in Colombia, and here being over thirty is reason enough to have a hard time looking for a well-paid job. The thing is that here age matters, a lot.

Saladsamurai said:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Agedness is not a "protected class" under U.S. law. But of course, discrimination of all types continues to exist despite laws.

But the discussion is a little silly anyways. At 26, discrimination would be working in your favor.

The discussion might be silly, but the point was that they cannot discriminate against age period; doesn't matter whose favor it is in.
Cantab Morgan said:
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Agedness is not a "protected class" under U.S. law. But of course, discrimination of all types continues to exist despite laws.

But the discussion is a little silly anyways. At 26, discrimination would be working in your favor.

"Pretty sure" eh? :rolleyes:

Under Title VII, the ADA, and the ADEA, it is illegal to discriminate in any aspect of employment, including:

* hiring and firing;
* compensation, assignment, or classification of employees;
* transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall;
* job advertisements;
* recruitment;
* testing;
* use of company facilities;
* training and apprenticeship programs;
* fringe benefits;
* pay, retirement plans, and disability leave; or
* other terms and conditions of employment.

Discriminatory practices under these laws also include:

* harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age;

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice, but nothing you've posted says that agedness is a protected class. Without such a classification, age discrimination judgments are hard to come by because the law has no teeth.

Cantab Morgan said:
That's nice, but nothing you've posted says that agedness is a protected class. Without such a classification, age discrimination judgments are hard to come by because the law has no teeth.

Are you just playing with words here? My point is that an employer cannot say "Nope too old."

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe you should clarify what you are saying here.

Hi, Saladsamurai. Thanks for the interesting discussion!

It all comes down to who bears the burden of proof. Suppose a plaintiff brings a case of discrimination based on skin color. Say there's a company where all the managers are white but all those with lesser paying jobs are black. To win, the company must prove that discrimination has not taken place. In other words, all the hiring and promotion decisions that have been made are automatically suspect.

Contrast this with an age discrimination case. Because agedness is not a suspect class, the burden of proof runs the other way. To win, the plaintiff must prove that discrimination has taken place. This is a nearly insurmountable burden.

Consequently, laws against age discrimination are a bit like laws against betting on sports. The practice is illegal (in the U.S.), but you'd be hard pressed to find a company without a march madness office pool.

Cantab Morgan said:
Hi, Saladsamurai. Thanks for the interesting discussion!

It all comes down to who bears the burden of proof. Suppose a plaintiff brings a case of discrimination based on skin color. Say there's a company where all the managers are white but all those with lesser paying jobs are black. To win, the company must prove that discrimination has not taken place. In other words, all the hiring and promotion decisions that have been made are automatically suspect.

Contrast this with an age discrimination case. Because agedness is not a suspect class, the burden of proof runs the other way. To win, the plaintiff must prove that discrimination has taken place. This is a nearly insurmountable burden.

Consequently, laws against age discrimination are a bit like laws against betting on sports. The practice is illegal (in the U.S.), but you'd be hard pressed to find a company without a march madness office pool.

Well then, I stand corrected/educated. That is quite unfortunate that one needs to fall under a suspect class in order to be protected by the law.

Almost seems pointless to even have the law. What does it take in order for a class to become protected?

Saladsamurai said:
That is quite unfortunate that one needs to fall under a suspect class in order to be protected by the law.

It's not quite that bad. It's just harder to win a case if it gets to that point. As in chess where the threat of a move is more powerful than the move itself, sometimes the threat of pursuing a case can have effects.

Also, you have to consider it from the point of view of the employer, too, who also deserves fairness. Not all claims have merit.

Saladsamurai said:
Almost seems pointless to even have the law. What does it take in order for a class to become protected?

I agree that a lot of laws seem that way, but having some protection is better than having none. I believe Congress sets the classifications at the federal level. The theory is that it has to be a permanent property of yourself to be eligible. Since a person's age is not a constant, so the reasoning goes, it doesn't qualify.

This seems illogical to me because you can't do anything at all to change how old you are.

Thanks for the info!

And Link, sorry if this derailed your thread for a bit, but I think you question might kind of, sort have been answered :rolleyes::smile:

Hi all,

I'm late to post, but what are some of grounds an employer(engineering/scientific fields) may feel justified in discriminating against someone because of their age.

Cantab Morgan said:

Age discrimination is a big deal in the U.S. Employers are not allowed to ask age unless age is explicitly a prerequisite for the job. I've seen many cases like this, employers don't usually have the upper hand in that situation.

nextwave said:
Hi all,

I'm late to post, but what are some of grounds an employer(engineering/scientific fields) may feel justified in discriminating against someone because of their age.

There must be a specific reason. For example, if one were shooting a commercial and needed an "older" individual to play a particular "older" role, then you may inquire about age citing the reason. The same applies for physically challenging work
duties but you cannot directly ask age, in that case you would simply have a checkbox on an
application to check if the physical demands can be met by applicants.

Sorry I typed that from my phone, hope that helps.
:)

Related to Whats is the normal age to graduate with a MEng in the United States

What is the normal age to graduate with a MEng in the United States?

The normal age to graduate with a MEng in the United States can vary depending on individual circumstances such as the length of the program, the student's academic progress, and any breaks taken during their studies. Generally, most students graduate with a MEng between the ages of 22-25.

What factors can affect the age at which a student graduates with a MEng?

Several factors can affect the age at which a student graduates with a MEng. These can include the length of the program, the student's academic performance, any breaks or interruptions during their studies, and whether they are pursuing the degree on a full-time or part-time basis.

Is it possible to graduate with a MEng at an older age?

Yes, it is possible to graduate with a MEng at an older age. Some students may choose to pursue this degree later in life, while others may take longer to complete their studies due to personal or professional obligations. The age at which a student graduates with a MEng should not be a determining factor in their success or potential in their field.

Are there any benefits to graduating with a MEng at a younger age?

There can be potential benefits to graduating with a MEng at a younger age, such as having more time to gain work experience and advance in one's field. However, this can also depend on individual circumstances and career goals. It is important for students to focus on their personal and academic development rather than comparing their age to others.

Can students graduate with a MEng at different ages depending on their field of study?

Yes, the age at which students graduate with a MEng can vary depending on their field of study. Some programs may have longer or shorter durations, and some fields may have different expectations or requirements for students. It is important for students to research and understand the specific requirements and expectations of their chosen field when considering the age at which they plan to graduate with a MEng.