What's another way I could find the spring constant experimentally?

In summary, the conversation discussed different methods for demonstrating Hooke's Law by finding the spring constant of a spring. The first method involved measuring the length of the spring and applying a force to determine the change in length. The second method suggested using the relationship between frequency of vibration, mass, and k for a mass connected to the spring. However, this method may not be suitable if the individual has not studied simple harmonic motion. Another alternative method suggested was hanging an object of known mass on the spring and measuring the change in length with a ruler, rather than using a force meter.
sodium40mg

Homework Statement

Basically I have to find two methods to show Hooke's Law by finding the spring constant of a spring. This is one method we did:

We basically measured the length of the spring. This is your initial spring length. Then make one end of the the spring stationary and connect the other end to the force meter and pull. Note the force on the force meter (this is your applied force). At the same time, measure the length of the spring at that exact force. The difference b/w this second measurement and the initial spring length is the change in length.

then simply use Hooke's law for spring.

F=k*x where x is the change in spring length

Homework Equations

F=k*x

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea any other way to do this? How could I use acceleration or velocity or something like that? Also, keep in mind I don't that motion sensor equipment or software unfortunately.

Physics news on Phys.org
sodium40mg said:
I have no idea any other way to do this? How could I use acceleration or velocity or something like that? Also, keep in mind I don't that motion sensor equipment or software unfortunately.
Think: harmonic motion. What is the relationship between frequency of vibration and k for a mass m connnected to the spring?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Think: harmonic motion. What is the relationship between frequency of vibration and k for a mass m connnected to the spring?

AM

Hmm...frequency of vibration is basically 1/T, or the time? Sorry, I actually don't know.

sodium40mg said:
Hmm...frequency of vibration is basically 1/T, or the time? Sorry, I actually don't know.
If you have not studied simple harmonic motion of a mass on a spring, you may not be expected to use this method. The relationship between period, mass and k is:

[tex]\frac{2\pi}{T} = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If you have not studied simple harmonic motion of a mass on a spring, you may not be expected to use this method. The relationship between period, mass and k is:

[tex]\frac{2\pi}{T} = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

AM

Yeah, that seems a little far fetched for our current understanding. Do you think there's any other way to measure the distance the spring changes with mass other than measuring it with a ruler? Something with acceleration, velocity? I'll do some research but I'm just hoping someone can key me in here.

You can hang an object of known mass on the spring and measure the change of length by a ruler. That object can be 200 g of candy for example. The force is the weight of the object, mg. And you certainly have got a ruler to measure x, the change of the length .

ehild

ehild said:
You can hang an object of known mass on the spring and measure the change of length by a ruler. That object can be 200 g of candy for example. The force is the weight of the object, mg. And you certainly have got a ruler to measure x, the change of the length .

ehild

That's basically what we did for the first method though?

Yes, it is, but no need of a force meter.
The basically different method would be the one AM suggested, measuring the time period of vibration.

ehild

Related to What's another way I could find the spring constant experimentally?

1. What is the purpose of finding the spring constant experimentally?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is important to determine this value experimentally to accurately predict the behavior of the spring in different situations.

2. What is the traditional method of finding the spring constant experimentally?

The traditional method involves applying a known weight to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The spring constant can then be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

3. Are there any other methods for finding the spring constant experimentally?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a force sensor to measure the force exerted by the spring at different displacements or using a motion sensor to measure the spring's oscillations and determining the period of oscillation.

4. What are the advantages of using alternative methods for finding the spring constant?

Alternative methods may be more accurate and precise than the traditional method, as they eliminate potential sources of error such as human error in measuring the displacement. They also allow for a wider range of data points to be collected and analyzed.

5. How can I determine which method is best for finding the spring constant experimentally?

The best method will depend on the specific setup and materials available. It is important to consider the accuracy, precision, and range of each method before deciding which one to use. It may be helpful to consult with a teacher or mentor for guidance in selecting the most appropriate method.