What's about a biological anthropic principle?

In summary, the anthropic principle in its different forms is a topic of discussion in Cosmology and Biology. The question of whether intelligence (in any form) is an inevitable consequence of evolution or a hazardous side effect remains unanswered due to lack of knowledge and evidence. It is speculated that the emergence of intelligent life may be contingent upon initial conditions and the path of evolution, similar to the anthropic principle in Cosmology. The extent of human intelligence and its role in natural selection is also a topic of debate.
ryokan
Anthropic principle, in its different forms, is cause of discussion in Cosmology.

My question here is restricted to Biology.

Are conditions of life's origin and evolution restricted in so form that they allow the emergence of intelligent life?

The great difference would be that a biological anthropic principle is related to hazardous conditions (for example, extinctions by a meteorite), whereas the cosmological anthropic principle is related to fundamental constants.

In fact, cosmological anthropic principle could take in account this biological , hazardous, aspect.

Biology news on Phys.org
The absence of answers to this thread suggest that I posted my question in a bad form. So, I will pose it in other form: Is intelligence (in any form, not necessarily human) an inevitable consequence of evolution or simply an hazardous side effect?

I'll admit that I'm still not sure what you're trying to discuss. You've provided two alternatives relating to intelligence:
1) inevitable consequence of evolution
2) hazardous side effect

First, I don't think these two alternatives are necessarily mutually exclusive, nor all encompassing. For example, it could be inevitable that you have a hazardous side effect, or alternatively, it could be a beneficial side effect.

Within the scope of biological knowledge and, specifically, evolutionary theory, I don't think there is an answer to this question. Any answer I could attempt would be highly speculative and would require a lot of assumptions. In other words, we only know of one example of an evolutionary process leading to the development of intelligent organisms, that being the one that has occurred here on Earth. There is no second, independent, system in which evolution has occurred THAT WE KNOW OF to assess whether the end result would be at all similar. Without that knowledge, your question can't be answered. That is, if I'm understanding your question properly.

ryokan said:
Is intelligence (in any form, not necessarily human) an inevitable consequence of evolution or simply an hazardous side effect?
I believe that intelligence is the consequence of evolution. As our solar system evolved, it achieved intelligent life.

As other parts of the universe age, they too must achieve intelligent life. I suspect that intelligent life is everywhere in the universe that is as old as this part of the universe or older.

Prometheus said:
I believe that intelligence is the consequence of evolution. As our solar system evolved, it achieved intelligent life.

Yes, intelligence has arisen as a consequence of evolution for life on Earth. But I think the question was whether it is an inevitable consequence.

As other parts of the universe age, they too must achieve intelligent life. I suspect that intelligent life is everywhere in the universe that is as old as this part of the universe or older.

This can only be speculation. There is no way to know if this is true, unless we discover more systems in which life has evolved independently of life on Earth to determine if the same patterns are followed.

Moonbear said:
Within the scope of biological knowledge and, specifically, evolutionary theory, I don't think there is an answer to this question. Any answer I could attempt would be highly speculative and would require a lot of assumptions. In other words, we only know of one example of an evolutionary process leading to the development of intelligent organisms, that being the one that has occurred here on Earth. There is no second, independent, system in which evolution has occurred THAT WE KNOW OF to assess whether the end result would be at all similar. Without that knowledge, your question can't be answered. That is, if I'm understanding your question properly.
Yes. I agree.
Probably, my question was more philosophical than scientific. As you say, "...without that knowledge, the question can't be answered". My question arose by analogy with the anthropic principle in Cosmology: the nature of physical constants and so the Nature of our Universe "would need" to be so to allow the existence of intelligent beings who question about the Universe. It is a principle very discussed in their both hard and soft forms.
In Biology, a similar anthropic principle would suggest that restrictions to origin and evolution of life would be related to the later emergence of intelligent life, although in this case, in difference with Cosmology, besides the initial physical and chemical conditions need to origin of life, there is the contingent aspect of evolution.

Moonbear said:
This can only be speculation. There is no way to know if this is true, unless we discover more systems in which life has evolved independently of life on Earth to determine if the same patterns are followed.
I agree, of course. You are quite right. There is no way to know if this is false, unless ...

Moonbear said:
Yes, intelligence has arisen as a consequence of evolution for life on Earth. But I think the question was whether it is an inevitable consequence.
Probably it isn't inevitable. But the fact of the existence of intelligence is only possible (although not inevitable, because is contingency-dependent) after an evolution following some early conditions which make possible that intelligence arise. That would be a form of anthropic principle for Biology.

Wouldn't the anthropic principle already apply to biology? Or you could say "We as intelligent beings exist because of the path evolution followed." Or "We see that evolution evolved intelligence because we exist."?

Of course, what is intelligence? Are "we" intelligent?

We are intellegent to an extent. The way i see it, we use tools, and invent things to make our lives easier. We can count, we can communicate with one another, and although basic these things may be, i believe we are considered to be intellegent life. One we have mastered telepathy, and such, we won't be super intelegent, just ordinarilly intelegent.

I think natural selection plays a big part in intellegent life. You don't see many animals around now, that arn't somewhat intellegent to an extent. But we must remember that natural selection is always occurring, and will always be occurring, so we (humans of the period 1000 BC to 3000 AD) may not always be as intelegent as we are now. I think that we humans are getting smarter, and taller, and living longer (evidence of natural selection) and this is how i think intellegent life first arose, starting from australipithicus africanus (spelling) or similar, to us.

There was an article in New Scientist which explained the role of intelligence quite convincingly.

Evolution occurs via reproduction and natural selection. That works well, but there is a limit on how fast this can work. On events that occur over a period of years, months or even seconds, such reproduction bound mechanisms will fail and the species will die. Evolution threw up something else, evolution on the fly, also known as intelligence. Things that can adapt to new situations and quickly is paramount in a rapidly changing environment.

Thats why, you can confidently say, humans are the most intelligent beings on Earth (that we know of). Because they can learn and adapt to new situations quickly. But there is a cost, we must start off knowing nothing so that we can conform as soon as we are born. This is in stark contrast to many other animals. Horses for example are able to walk very quickly after birth, yet humans take many months and this can be very dangerous as newborns are completely vunerable.

The real point is, intelligence is only an advantage in a changing environment. It is a real disadvantage where an environment is static, and it would prevent the emergence of intelligence altogether. But of course no environment is static. So rapid change will cause intelligence to evolve, intelligence will cause more intelligence to evolve (battle of adapting to each others adaptation), and those without intelligence will suffer.

Quite possibly the reason why so many creatures are becoming extinct, they're not smart enough :eek:

Noticibly F.A.T said:
I think natural selection plays a big part in intellegent life. You don't see many animals around now, that arn't somewhat intellegent to an extent. But we must remember that natural selection is always occurring, and will always be occurring, so we (humans of the period 1000 BC to 3000 AD) may not always be as intelegent as we are now. I think that we humans are getting smarter, and taller, and living longer (evidence of natural selection) and this is how i think intellegent life first arose, starting from australipithicus africanus (spelling) or similar, to us.

Humans on average are getting taller because of a better diet, it's not natural selection. Short people aren't being selected against.

I also don't think dumb people are being selected against, so that would mean people aren't getting smarter. There were philosophers and poets thousands of years ago who probably could score higher on an IQ test than a lot of us. Could you invent geometry?

Noticibly F.A.T said:
I think that we humans are getting smarter, and taller, and living longer (evidence of natural selection) and this is how i think intellegent life first arose, starting from australipithicus africanus (spelling) or similar, to us.
To be taller and to live longer would be due to nutritional and medical advances. And that in the developped world.
On intelligence, we lack of basis to say that now,as individuals, we are in mean more intelligent than 5000 years ago.

I reckon i could invent geomertry. Just kiddin. I get it now. Thanks guys.

Jikx said:
It is a real disadvantage where an environment is static, and it would prevent the emergence of intelligence altogether.
I don't understand that. Why?

ryokan said:
jikx said:
It is a real disadvantage where an environment is static, and it would prevent the emergence of intelligence altogether.
I don't understand that. Why?

I guess the reasoning is somewhat like this:
Because it is only useful to be flexible (i.e. intelligent, able to choose what is best in this situation) when being flexible pays. In our world it may be useful to learn to climb or to learn to run or to learn to throw spears (or to learn calculus:wink:). Depending on the circumstances that you are born in you choose to perfect one of your abilities (adapting on the fly). Being able to choose from different possibilities and being able to fulfill these possibilities is advantageous. Therefore natural selection might make a species that is able to do so prosper. In an environment in which nothing ever changes it would be better to be born with certain abilities that are well suited for that never changing environment, so that is what would be naturally selected in such an environment.

gerben said:
In an environment in which nothing ever changes it would be better to be born with certain abilities that are well suited for that never changing environment, so that is what would be naturally selected in such an environment.
The best, then, would be to be a plant. A sequoia, for example.

Err. What are you saying, that a sequoia's environment never changes? That is not correct. A more correct statement would be that the sequoia has evolved adapations to adjust for a [wide] variety of environmental changes, hence their long lives. You wouldn't find any older than, say, the most recent glaciation.

I will pose the question in other form: What general biological laws will apply anywhere carbon-based intelligent life exists?

Related to What's about a biological anthropic principle?

1. What is the biological anthropic principle?

The biological anthropic principle is a concept in science that suggests the conditions necessary for the existence of life on Earth are not random, but rather they are specifically suited for the development and evolution of living organisms. It is a way of explaining the observed fact that the universe and our planet have properties that make them conducive to life.

2. How does the biological anthropic principle differ from other anthropic principles?

The biological anthropic principle is a specific subset of the anthropic principle, which is a philosophical argument that states the observed values of physical constants and cosmological parameters are constrained by the requirement of the existence of intelligent life. Unlike other forms of the anthropic principle, the biological anthropic principle focuses specifically on the conditions necessary for the existence and evolution of biological life on Earth.

3. What evidence supports the biological anthropic principle?

There are several lines of evidence that support the biological anthropic principle. These include the fine-tuning of physical constants and cosmological parameters, the existence of a habitable zone in our solar system, and the presence of a protective atmosphere on Earth. Additionally, the remarkable diversity of life on our planet suggests that the conditions for life are highly optimized.

4. Can the biological anthropic principle be applied to other planets or solar systems?

While the biological anthropic principle was initially developed to explain the conditions on Earth, it can also be applied to other planets and solar systems. The principles of chemistry and physics that govern our universe are believed to be universal, so it is possible that similar conditions for life could exist on other planets. However, the specific conditions necessary for the development of life may vary based on the unique properties of each planet or solar system.

5. How does the biological anthropic principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The biological anthropic principle challenges the traditional view of the universe as a random and chaotic place. It suggests that the universe is finely tuned to support the existence and evolution of living organisms, which may indicate a greater purpose or design in the universe. Additionally, studying the conditions necessary for life on Earth can provide insight into the search for extraterrestrial life and the potential habitability of other planets.