What Would You Do with This Multinomial?

• Thread starter Fliption
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a given expression, 5b2y + x2y2 + 5cz2, and the confusion surrounding what is being asked to be solved. The participants question the meaning of "solve" and discuss the limitations of factoring the expression without additional information. The conclusion is that the given expression cannot be solved as it is not an equation or an inequality.
Fliption

Homework Statement

If someone gave you this 5b2y + x2y2 + 5cz2 and said "Solve this problem" with no further instructions, what in the world would you do with this? It's some sort of multinomial and factoring that out is over my head if that's what is intended here. Anyone have a clue about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If they gave me no additional information I’d ask them to tell me what they mean by “solve” since there isn’t even any type of equality. Are the numbers supposed to be exponents?

Yes, my apologies. All the 2s mean to the power of 2. So it should read: 5b^2y + x^2y^2 + 5cz^2

If he wants you to factor it, you can’t hardly do anything since there are only a few terms with common factors…

This is a very poorly posed problem. You cannot "solve" an expression, which is what 5b2y + x2y2 + 5cz2 is.

You can solve an equation (e.g., 2x2 + 3x + 5 = 0) or an inequality (e.g., 2x + y <= 0), but what you have isn't an equation or an inequality.

Related to What Would You Do with This Multinomial?

1. What is this object and how does it work?

This is a common question when encountering a new or unfamiliar object. As a scientist, I would carefully examine the object's physical characteristics and any accompanying documentation to determine its purpose and functionality. If necessary, I would conduct experiments or research to gain a better understanding of the object.

2. Can this object be used for multiple purposes?

Many objects have multiple potential uses, and this is a valid question to ask. As a scientist, I would explore different ways to use the object and determine its limitations and capabilities. I would also consider any ethical or safety implications of repurposing the object.

3. How can this object benefit society or the environment?

This question shows a concern for the greater impact of the object beyond personal use. As a scientist, I would evaluate the object's potential benefits and drawbacks, as well as any potential risks or consequences. I would also consider ways to optimize its use for maximum positive impact.

4. Are there any potential hazards associated with this object?

Safety is a top priority in scientific research, and this question is essential for ensuring the well-being of individuals and the environment. As a scientist, I would thoroughly examine the object for any potential hazards and take appropriate precautions to mitigate or eliminate them.

5. How can this object be improved or optimized?

This question shows a curiosity and desire for innovation, which is a crucial aspect of scientific inquiry. As a scientist, I would analyze the object's design and function, gather feedback from others, and conduct experiments to find ways to improve or enhance its performance.