What Would Happen to a Newton's Pendulum in Space?

In summary: Anyway, thank you for your help.In summary, the pendulum would still function, albeit with less energy, as long as it is kept in space without gravity. The motion may be damped by gas molecules and by friction in the strings, at the attachment points to the cradle.
Slingshot
I was wondering what will happen if we had a Newton's pendulum (cradle ) in space out of any significant gravitational orbit, although one with only two balls where the string attached to each balls would only be tied to the same center.

This pendulum would allow the first ball to hit the second one which in his turn by the transfer of energy due to kinetic would orbit itself around the center to then come back hitting the first ball to repeat the cycle.

My question is; by the law of motion and conservation of energy wouldn't the energy be conserved and only kept transferring from one ball to the other over and over again by kinetic without resistance since there is no gravity? Would the pendulum be kept in perpetual motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so, as long as the centre is fixed in space.

Someone told me that due to thermodynamic, the perpetual motion will come to an end. Is it correct?

If so, how could the energy be released at all? It is not as if it would be emitting heat or radiation. At least not significantly no?

Well assuming the collisions are elastic, it would continue forever. You understand we're talking in terms of ideals, far out in space where there is no gravity (no such place exists), a frictionless central rod that has the perfect amount of force applied to it so that the tension due to the string leaves it unmoved...

Either the motion decays or it doesn't. It's completely dependant on your choice of assumptions. All I'm saying is, as far as I can see, the idealised system breaks no conservation laws.

Slingshot said:
I was wondering what will happen if we had a Newton's pendulum (cradle ) in space out of any significant gravitational orbit, although one with only two balls where the string attached to each balls would only be tied to the same center.

This pendulum would allow the first ball to hit the second one which in his turn by the transfer of energy due to kinetic would orbit itself around the center to then come back hitting the first ball to repeat the cycle.

My question is; by the law of motion and conservation of energy wouldn't the energy be conserved and only kept transferring from one ball to the other over and over again by kinetic without resistance since there is no gravity? Would the pendulum be kept in perpetual motion?

I don't understand why you put it in space, as it needs gravity to function. However, to have almost no resistance it should be in high vacuum.

Then the motion will still be damped by the few remaining gas molecules and by friction in the strings, at the attachment points to the cradle. And I suspect that even the collisions aren't 100% elastic, I imagine that every time a little (very little) heat is generated. And as Micky indicated, some of the motion may be transmitted to the cradle+support, so you have to consider possible energy absorption there as well.

Harald

Thank you, both of you confirmed what I suspected and needed to know as for in ideal situation as first describe and also in not so ideal situation.

As for "why in space?" it is because I wanted to take gravity out of the equation. You are right that a normal Newton pendulum would need gravity, though the hypothetically one I describe would not be needing one due to the fact that it would be build to be totally circular and to hit back by doing a 360 degree orbit travel instead of a left to right swing.

Related to What Would Happen to a Newton's Pendulum in Space?

What is Newton's Pendulum in space?

Newton's Pendulum in space is a scientific experiment that demonstrates the principles of conservation of energy and momentum in a microgravity environment. It consists of a series of suspended balls that are set in motion and collide with each other, transferring energy and momentum.

How does Newton's Pendulum in space work?

The pendulum is set in motion by pulling one of the balls to the side and releasing it. When the ball collides with the stationary balls, it transfers its energy and momentum, causing the last ball in the series to swing out. The process repeats itself as the last ball swings back and collides with the stationary balls, transferring its energy and momentum to the first ball.

Why does Newton's Pendulum in space work differently than on Earth?

In a microgravity environment, there is no force of gravity acting on the pendulum, allowing it to continue moving without slowing down or stopping. On Earth, the force of gravity causes friction, which eventually slows down the pendulum's movement. In space, there is also no air resistance, allowing for a more accurate demonstration of the principles of energy and momentum.

What can we learn from Newton's Pendulum in space?

Newton's Pendulum in space demonstrates the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, which are fundamental concepts in physics. It also allows scientists to observe these principles in a microgravity environment, providing insights into how objects behave in the absence of gravity and air resistance.

How is Newton's Pendulum in space used in research?

Newton's Pendulum in space is used in research to study the behavior of objects in microgravity environments, such as spacecraft and satellites. It also helps scientists to understand the impact of gravity and air resistance on the movement of objects in space. Additionally, the experiment can be used to test the accuracy of mathematical models and theories related to energy and momentum.