What will block damage to mag stripes?

In summary: This seems to work because the plastic provides a physical barrier between the card and the magnetic strip.
thecat
Seems like an epidemic lately of "demagnetized" credit cards, transit cards, etc. - apparently due to the card's proximity to cell phones and/or those magnetic closures on briefcases and purses...

If I were to attempt to protect my cards from any such damage, what material could I use which would also be reasonably lightweight and durable?

(in other words, what blocks the mag-stripe-altering magnetic field frequency generated by low-power simple magnets or by cell phones? - and a related question is whether this material would also cause any communication issues for the cell phone)

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you,
TheCat

Physics news on Phys.org
Goggle for NU metal. It can be had in thin sheets. Cut it to a suitable size, fold it in half and put the cards inside. You'll have to do something about the sharp edges and corners. It won't affect a cell phone unless you cover the antenna if that's the question.

There was recently an episode of the show 'Myth Busters' that aired sometime this month in Australia on this very topic (For those that have never seen this show, it basically consists of two guys that go around scientifically testing urban myths).

These guys put several credit cards under all kinds of grief from cellphones, money clips etc, and the credit cards still worked without a hitch. These guys even got a decent sized electromagnet and still could not cause the cards to malfunction.

So it would seem, from the experiments these guys were doing, the magnetic fields produced from cellphones and fridge magnets are simply not strong enough to damage the infromation on a credit card.

Claude.

Yet the cards do seem to loose the ability to communicate... What is it? I am pretty sure that several of mine died after leaving my wallet on the car seat in the sun on a +100F (~35C) summer day. The cards all took the curve of the wallet, and would never again lay flat or work. So apparently heat can do the job.

GENIERE said:
Goggle for NU metal.
That would be "Mu" metal; it comes from [itex]\mu[/itex] being the symbol for permeability. NU metal is a type of music :smile:

krab said:
That would be "Mu" metal; it comes from [itex]\mu[/itex] being the symbol for permeability. NU metal is a type of music :smile:

Well I hope the OP found some decent NU music sites! :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info; I'll investigate further (both the Mu metals and whether the damage is as extensive as it sometimes seems...)
TheCat

Little trick, somewhat related: Sometimes when a card reader is having trouble reading, you might see someone enclose a card loosely in a plastic bag before swiping it again. I've seen it work several times, even with my own cards. I'm assuming that it's using contact electrification/electrostatics to amplify the field on the mag strip (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Related to What will block damage to mag stripes?

1. What are mag stripes and why do they need protection?

Mag stripes, short for magnetic stripes, are thin strips of magnetic material that are used to store information, such as credit card numbers or personal identification numbers. They need protection because they are vulnerable to damage from various sources, which can render the stored information unreadable.

2. What are the common causes of damage to mag stripes?

The most common causes of damage to mag stripes are exposure to strong magnetic fields, physical scratching or bending, and contact with liquids or chemicals that can corrode the magnetic material.

3. Can damage to mag stripes be prevented?

While it is impossible to completely prevent all damage to mag stripes, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the risk. These include avoiding exposure to strong magnetic fields, handling the card carefully to prevent scratching or bending, and keeping the card away from liquids and chemicals.

4. Are there any protective measures that can be taken to prevent damage to mag stripes?

Yes, there are several protective measures that can be taken. One option is to use a protective cover or sleeve for the card, which can help shield it from magnetic fields and physical damage. Another option is to use a card reader or writer that has a protective shield to prevent damage from external sources.

5. How long do mag stripes typically last before they need to be replaced?

The lifespan of mag stripes can vary depending on usage and the level of protection they receive. On average, mag stripes can last for several years before they start to degrade and need to be replaced. However, it is recommended to regularly check the condition of the mag stripe and replace the card if any damage is detected.