What will be the horizontal acceleration

In summary, the question asks for the acceleration of a 4.00-kg block sliding up a 30 degree incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.700, while a 50-N horizontal force is applied. The correct equation for this scenario is 50 - mgsin(30) - Uk*mg*cos(30) = ma. However, the attempt at a solution provided a setup for when the force is acting parallel to the incline. To solve for the correct acceleration, the weight mg should be broken into components parallel and perpendicular to the slope, as well as the 50 N force.
JaZZyCooL

Homework Statement

a 4.00-kg block is sliding up the plane on a 30 degree incline. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the inline is .700. What will be the acceleration of the block if a 50-N horizontal force pushes on the block?

Homework Equations

50 - mgsin(30) - Uk*mg*cos(30) = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am getting answer 6.65 something whereas the correct answer is 4.40 m/s.
I suck at this topic. This is the weakest point I would appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JaZZyCooL said:

Homework Statement

a 4.00-kg block is sliding up the plane on a 30 degree incline. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the inline is .700. What will be the acceleration of the block if a 50-N horizontal force pushes on the block?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am getting answer 6.65 something whereas the correct answer is 4.40 m/s.
I suck at this topic. This is the weakest point I would appreciate your help.

It seems like your setup is close. can you post all of your work so we can check it?

berkeman said:
It seems like your setup is close. can you post all of your work so we can check it?

50 - 4.0*9.8*sin(30)-4.0*0.7*9.8*cos(30) = 50 - 23.76 = 26.64
26.64/4.00 = 6.56 m/s^2

JaZZyCooL said:
Looks like you've worked the problem for the case where the 50 N force acts parallel to the incline. But the force is acting horizontally.

So what will be the equation if the force is acting horizontal?

When you dealt with the weight mg, you broke it into components parallel and perpendicular to the slope. Do the same for the 50 N force.

Related to What will be the horizontal acceleration

What is horizontal acceleration?

Horizontal acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in the horizontal direction. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is horizontal acceleration calculated?

Horizontal acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's horizontal velocity by the time it takes for the change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the horizontal acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

What affects horizontal acceleration?

Horizontal acceleration is affected by the force applied to an object, the object's mass, and any external factors such as air resistance or friction. In a vacuum, an object will continue to move with a constant horizontal acceleration unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical acceleration?

Horizontal acceleration refers to the acceleration in the direction of motion, while vertical acceleration refers to the acceleration in the direction perpendicular to the motion. In other words, horizontal acceleration is the change in an object's horizontal velocity, while vertical acceleration is the change in its vertical velocity.

How is horizontal acceleration related to horizontal force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. Therefore, an increase in horizontal force will result in an increase in horizontal acceleration, and vice versa.