What Went Wrong in My Elastic Collision Calculation?

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the final velocities (V1f and V2f) in a collision problem using the equations V1f = (m1 - m2 / m1 + m2) * V1i and V2f = (2m1 / m1 + m2) * V1i. The attempt at a solution is provided, but the asker is questioning why part a is marked incorrect while part b is marked correct, despite both parts asking for the speed after the collision. The asker also mentions discrepancies in their calculations and their teacher's advice to input more digits for accuracy.
VitaX

Homework Statement

uvwud.jpg

Homework Equations

V1f = (m1 - m2 / m1 + m2) * V1i
V2f = (2m1 / m1 + m2) * V1i
.5mVi^2 + mgyo = .5mVi^2 + mgy1

The Attempt at a Solution

V1 = (2gyo)^(1/2) = (2*9.8*.34)^(1/2) = 2.5815 m/s
a) V1f = (.650 - 4.40 / .650 + 4.40) * 2.5815 = -1.917 m/s
b) V2f = (2*.650 / .650 + 4.40) * 2.5815 = .6645 m/s

I don't understand why part a is wrong and part b is right. Doesn't make any sense to me since the question is asking for the speed after the collision in both part a and b. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked out v1 independently and got -1.918.
Surely the 4th digit difference is not significant?
I used 9.81 for g and got 2.583 for the initial speed.

Delphi51 said:
I worked out v1 independently and got -1.918.
Surely the 4th digit difference is not significant?
I used 9.81 for g and got 2.583 for the initial speed.

My teacher told us to input a lot of digits to be sure our answer is recognized since there is a 2% tolerance built in. Either way our answers would match. I think there must be something wrong with the system to say it is wrong.

Related to What Went Wrong in My Elastic Collision Calculation?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision that occurs between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision.

2. How is the velocity of each object affected in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the velocity of each object changes according to the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the system is conserved, so the sum of the velocities before and after the collision must be the same.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or heat production.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The angle of collision and the elasticity of the objects also play a role in determining the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

5. How do you calculate the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The final velocities in an elastic collision can be calculated using the equations of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. By setting up and solving these equations, you can determine the final velocities of each object after the collision.