What was there before Big Bang?

• Thread starter Nernico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of what existed before the Big Bang. Cosmologists have suggested the possibility of a quantum vacuum, but there is no consensus on what existed before that. The conversation also delves into the limitations of our current understanding of quantum mechanics and general relativity in explaining the origins of the universe. There are different theories, such as cyclic universes and the concept of continual creation through quantum fluctuations, that attempt to address this question. Some of these theories, such as string theory, can have conflicting explanations for what existed before the Big Bang.
Nernico
What was there before Big Bang? Cosmologists suggested that there was quantum vacuum, but what was there before quantum vacuum? From where did quantum vacuum came? And why was there a quantum vacuum rather than nothing?

Space news on Phys.org
Hi, Nernico,

Welcome to PF!

I think you've misunderstood something about the quantum vacuum. You seem to be visualizing it as a kind of empty space that predated the big bang. That isn't right. There is no viable cosmological model in which empty space predated the big bang. "Quantum vacuum" is just an ordinary vacuum. The "quantum" part is just a way of emphasizing that an ordinary vacuum, such as the one that exists between the atoms of air in this room, isn't really empty: it contains particles that pop in and out of existence.

First off, we don't have a theory of quantum gravity, so there is no way that we can confidently answer questions like this using quantum mechanics. The best we can really do based on well-tested theories is to answer this kind of question using general relativity, which is classical, not quantum-mechanical.

So in terms of GR, the picture we have is that time and space exist only for t>0. For any t>0, there is an earlier time, so we can always give cause and effect explanations. Conditions at any given time were caused by conditions at an earlier time. GR can't answer questions like why there is something rather than nothing. It can, however, say that there was something rather than nothing at time t because there was something rather than nothing at an earlier time. In GR's model, there is never any creation of matter out of nothing (in technical terms, mass-energy is locally conserved). Matter exists at all t>0, and there was never a universe full of empty space.

GR's description of cosmology is expected to be wrong due to quantum-mechanical effects at times earlier than the Planck time, which was about t=10-43 s. There are speculative attempts to construct a quantum-mechanical theory of gravity that would fix these problems. Marcus works in that field, and he will probably chime in with a better description of that than I can give.

Hey, Marcus, this question clearly deserves a FAQ entry -- want to write one? If so, feel free to use my material above if you find it useful.

-Ben

Nernico said:
What was there before Big Bang? Cosmologists suggested that there was quantum vacuum, but what was there before quantum vacuum? From where did quantum vacuum came? And why was there a quantum vacuum rather than nothing?

Not everybody says quantum vacuum.
The basic game is to get a model that you can test observationally that evolves through where the older models break down, back to before the start of expansion.

I would not even say "quantum vacuum" is the predominant theme in todays research. It was more common back in 1990s.

The field you are asking about is called Quantum Cosmology. Here are the recent papers in QC (2009 or later).
http://www-library.desy.de/cgi-bin/spiface/find/hep/www?rawcmd=dk+quantum+cosmology+and+date+%3E+2008&FORMAT=WWW&SEQUENCE=citecount%28d%29
=======================

Hi Ben! I just saw your post. That's a good suggestion. I will try to write something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then the whole and infinite space is infinitely occupied by something ? Beyond our universe is there something infinitely? And how can energy exist eternally without ever being brought into existence?

Nernico said:
Beyond our universe is there something infinitely? And how can energy exist eternally without ever being brought into existence?

You are getting philosophical Nernico.
The typical meaning of universe is all physical existence. No beyond.

This is cosmology forum. We discuss standard cosmo. We don't address questions like "why does existence exist?" You'd have to go to a philosophy or religion forum.

Standard model cosmo takes physical existence for granted. The challenge is to understand it, model it, work back in time to earlier and earlier times. Predict, Test the predictions. Correct and refine our mental picture of the physical world.

I am sorry english isn't my native language.
I was asking if the whole space is infinitelly occupied by something since its impossible energy doesn't exist.
Beyond that 'i' where all matter was compressed before the big bang, the INFINITE was occupied by energy or something? is the INFINITE occupied by something?

Nernico said:
Then the whole and infinite space
We actually don't know whether the universe is spatially infinite: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506986

Nernico said:
is infinitely occupied by something ?
Not sure what you mean by "infinitely occupied?"

Nernico said:
Beyond our universe is there something infinitely?
What do you mean by "beyond our universe?" The universe doesn't have an edge.

Nernico said:
And how can energy exist eternally without ever being brought into existence?
What makes you think that things have to be brought into existence in order to exist?

bcrowell said:
I think you've misunderstood something about the quantum vacuum. You seem to be visualizing it as a kind of empty space that predated the big bang. That isn't right.
Well, it isn't necessarily wrong. There are basically two different avenues that I have seen in investigating what might have been before our universe. One is some sort of cyclic universe. This includes ideas like loop quantum cosmology and the ekpyrotic universe.

The other is one where you're continually getting new regions of space-time produced as a result of quantum fluctuations. This includes ideas like eternal inflation and de Sitter equilibrium cosmology.

The latter idea could, in some situations, be described as our universe being born out of a previous vacuum state.

It's also worth mentioning that merely having a theory of quantum gravity is not sufficient to distinguish between these two scenarios. For instance, within string theory you can have either the ekpyrotic theory or eternal inflation, which are quite different ways of talking about what happened before our universe. So it isn't just about the theory of gravity, but also about about what the conditions of the early universe are.

I would hihgly reccomend watching BBC's documentary "What happened Before the Big Bang?" you should find it on youtube very easily. They have a great laymans intro to manyof the current pre big bnag models such as eternal inflation, the big bounce, CCC, Ekpyrotic universe etc

Related to What was there before Big Bang?

1) What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model for the observable universe. It explains the origins of the universe and how it has evolved over time, including the expansion of space and the formation of galaxies and other celestial bodies.

2) Was there anything before the Big Bang?

The concept of "before" the Big Bang is difficult to define because time and space as we know it did not exist prior to the event. Some theories suggest that there could have been a different state of the universe before the Big Bang, while others argue that the Big Bang was the beginning of time itself.

3) Did the Big Bang create the universe?

The Big Bang did not create the universe from nothing. It is believed that the universe was in a highly dense and hot state before the Big Bang and expanded rapidly during the event. The exact cause of the Big Bang is still a topic of debate among scientists.

4) What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observed expansion of the universe. Additionally, the Big Bang theory is able to explain various observed phenomena, such as the redshift of galaxies and the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

5) Can we ever know what happened before the Big Bang?

It is currently impossible to know for certain what happened before the Big Bang, as there is no way to observe or measure anything that existed before the event. However, scientists continue to study and develop theories about the origins of the universe in hopes of gaining a better understanding of the events that led to the Big Bang.