What was the main source of oxygen on Earth before photosynthesis?

• Thread starter Newbie1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, the oceans play a vital role in producing the majority of the Earth's oxygen through the growth of plant life, including algae. While trees also contribute to oxygen production, it is the vast amount of ocean surface area that allows for a large amount of oxygen to be produced. Before the evolution of photosynthesis, the atmosphere was mostly carbon dioxide and the majority of oxygen existed as sand. However, through the process of photosynthesis, plants have increased the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere, though it is considered a toxin to some organisms.
Newbie1
in the middle of the sea where there are no trees around?.

Biology news on Phys.org
It is the dissolved oxygen.

Most of the world's oxygen (70%) is produced by plants (or green stuff depening on how fussy you want to be about the definition of plants) living on the oceans.
It does also blow around quite a lot in the atmosphere.

in the middle of the sky where there are no fish around? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
in the middle of the sky where there are no fish around? :confused:
Beause penguins eat them all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmpihCjqw

Newbie1 said:
in the middle of the sea where there are no trees around?.
The oceans are teeming with plant-life that can produce oxygen. Oxygen in the air is also entrained into sea-water by wave action.

mgb_phys said:
Most of the world's oxygen (70%) is produced by plants (or green stuff depening on how fussy you want to be about the definition of plants) living on the oceans.
It does also blow around quite a lot in the atmosphere.

I see... would it be fair to say that there would be more oxygen available where there are trees around?. Or is it fairly distributed?.

Yes i know my questions are weird... lol...

Newbie1 said:
I see... would it be fair to say that there would be more oxygen available where there are trees around?. Or is it fairly distributed?.
Trees aren't all that important compared to algae etc they are big and grow slowly so their metabolism is pretty low compared to pond scum.
Depends on the age of the tree and the species of course - the same thing applies to the idea of planting trees to remove CO2.

I think the OP is asking about oxygen in the atmosphere, not dissolved in the ocean. Oxygen exists everywhere on Earth in similar concentrations because wind spreads it around.

I thought the atmosphere is just the atmosphere, any local fluctuations would be just that; local, and due to some insignificant factor, (cows, volcanoes, trees).

russ_watters said:
I think the OP is asking about oxygen in the atmosphere, not dissolved in the ocean. Oxygen exists everywhere on Earth in similar concentrations because wind spreads it around.
Yes, but the OP is assuming that oxygen comes from trees.
The question should really be - why is there oxygen on land if there is no algae around!

mgb_phys said:
Yes, but the OP is assuming that oxygen comes from trees.
The question should really be - why is there oxygen on land if there is no algae around!

Does most oxygen come from algae then?

philip041 said:
Does most oxygen come from algae then?
Most of it comes from stuff growing on the surface of the ocean (not all technically algae)
There is quite a lot of ocean surface area and not a lot of it is desert or covered in concrete so it's a good place to be a plant.

If only I were a plant.

Oxygen is an element - it's neither created nor destroyed by plants or anything else. It's just there. The better question is - before evolution of photosynthesis, in what chemical form did much of the oxygen exist?

btw - ever looked at the formula for water? You know - the stuff that covers a lot of the planet?

JorgeLobo said:
The better question is - before evolution of photosynthesis, in what chemical form did much of the oxygen exist?
The majority of the Oxygen on Earth is in the form of sand.

Before evolution of photosynthesis the atmosphere was mostly carbon dioxide - before plant made global cooling polluted this with toxic chemicals (like molecular oxygen).
Plants continue doing this today, taking our vital CO2 and creating more toxic O2. We are trying to return the atmopshere to it's natural state by burning them, but it's a big job and is taking longer than expected.

Related to What was the main source of oxygen on Earth before photosynthesis?

What is oxygen?

Oxygen is a chemical element with the symbol O and atomic number 8. It is a highly reactive gas that is essential for life on Earth.

How is oxygen produced?

Oxygen is produced through several processes, primarily photosynthesis by plants and algae, and through the breakdown of water molecules by sunlight in the upper atmosphere.

Why is oxygen important?

Oxygen is important for various biological processes, such as respiration and metabolism, in both plants and animals. It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's atmosphere, helping to regulate the planet's temperature and supporting the ozone layer.

How come oxygen is present in the Earth's atmosphere?

Oxygen has been present in the Earth's atmosphere for billions of years. It is constantly being replenished through natural processes, such as photosynthesis and geological activities.

What would happen if there was no oxygen?

If there was no oxygen, life as we know it would not exist on Earth. Plants and animals would not be able to carry out essential biological processes, and the atmosphere would have a very different composition, potentially making the planet uninhabitable for humans.