What was Isaac Newton's real face?

• Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the paintings and their relation to the death mask. Some differences, such as age and weight, are noted between the paintings. The question is raised about dating and placing the paintings in order. The speaker also mentions that the hair in the paintings is legendary. There is speculation about whether the face in the paintings is actually the subject's or a wig. The first painting is identified as potentially being John Newton, but there is uncertainty about the subject's identity.
jonjacson
22800354899.jpg

1646597110653.jpeg

1646597132954.jpeg

web3-sir-isaac-newton-portrait-wikipedia.jpg

1646597163081.jpeg

1646597179589.jpeg

1646597189377.jpeg
Nd9GcS3B-10Szcc5mNMzF3-VeZMRLgjY25QFJ95eg&usqp=CAU.jpg

I ask because each painting seems to represent a different person.

This is the death mask:

-v69-d480-mascara-mortuoria-de-isaac-newton-w30j23.jpg

1646597531600.jpeg

What painting do you think is closer to the death mask?

Science news on Phys.org
Some differences are obviously age and weight related. Can you date the paintings and place in order?

Likes BillTre and jonjacson
caz said:
Some differences are obviously age and weight related. Can you date the paintings and place in order?

I don't have that information.

The nose in the first matches the death mask best, but those two seem less distinctive nasally than the rest.

Last edited:
BillTre said:
Don't know about his face, but his hair is legendary, according to some.
But it isn't necessarily his, fairly obviously in some of the pics it is a wig, as was usual in his times.

I think the first is John Newton (author of Amazing Grace). As far as I know Isaac was never a clergyman. I and J are sometimes used interchangeably in old books (e.g. Iulius Caesar in the First Folio).

Likes nasu and Klystron

1. What did Isaac Newton's face look like?

Isaac Newton's face was described as being oval-shaped with a high forehead, prominent cheekbones, and a pointed chin. He had light-colored eyes and a long, straight nose.

2. Are there any portraits or paintings of Isaac Newton's face?

Yes, there are several portraits and paintings of Isaac Newton's face. The most famous one is the portrait by Sir Godfrey Kneller, which was painted in 1689 and is now displayed at the National Portrait Gallery in London.

3. Did Isaac Newton have any distinct facial features?

Isaac Newton had a distinctive birthmark on his right cheek, which was described as a reddish mark that resembled a strawberry. He also had a small scar on his forehead from a childhood accident.

4. How accurate are the depictions of Isaac Newton's face?

The accuracy of depictions of Isaac Newton's face can vary, as some artists may have taken artistic liberties in their portrayals. However, the most well-known portraits and paintings of him are believed to be fairly accurate based on historical descriptions and records.

5. Did Isaac Newton's appearance change over time?

There are not many records of how Isaac Newton's appearance changed over time. However, it is believed that he aged gracefully and maintained a similar appearance throughout his life, as seen in the various portraits and paintings of him.