What Velocity Clears a Shelf in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the problem involves determining the initial horizontal velocity needed for a .93 kg rock to barely clear a vertical drop of 6m and a horizontal shelf of 10m before another drop of 4m. Air friction is considered negligible and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. The equations of motion in the horizontal and vertical directions must be used to solve this problem, as well as determining the initial vertical velocity. A solution can be found using the equations and the given information.
luna02525

Homework Statement

You are standing at the top of the cliff that has a stairstep configuration. There is a vertical drop of 6m at your feet, then a horizontal shelf of 10 m, then another drop of 4m to the bottom of the canyon, which has a horizontal floor. You kick a .93 kg rock, giving it an initial horizontal velocity that barely clears the shelf below. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Consider air friction to be negligible. What initial horizontal velocity [tex]v[/tex] will be required to barely clear the edge of the self below you.

Edit: Solution found.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We request students show some work and write the appropriate equations.

The problem reqires an object to clear a point 6 m below and 10 m horizontally displaced, and one has to determine the horizontal velocity to achieve the trajectory to accomplish this.

What is the initial vertical velocity? What are the equations of motion in the horizontal and vertical?

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra11 (horizontal launches)

I saw this exact question somewhere else, I believe on this forum. I just can't find it.

Astronuc said:
We request students show some work and write the appropriate equations.

The problem reqires an object to clear a point 6 m below and 10 m horizontally displaced, and one has to determine the horizontal velocity to achieve the trajectory to accomplish this.

What is the initial vertical velocity? What are the equations of motion in the horizontal and vertical?

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra11 (horizontal launches)

I actually determined a solution for this problem (see edit) but thank you! I did have equations shown and attempted work but incidentally, I erased it all when I found a solution. It took me a while to find it but I'm slowly beginning to understand.

Related to What Velocity Clears a Shelf in Projectile Motion?

1. What is the acceleration of a ball rolling down a cliff?

The acceleration of a ball rolling down a cliff is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How does the height of the cliff affect the motion of the ball?

The height of the cliff will affect the motion of the ball by increasing the ball's potential energy as it gains height, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the cliff.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity and time of the ball rolling down a cliff?

The velocity of the ball will increase as it rolls down the cliff due to the acceleration of gravity. The time it takes for the ball to reach the bottom of the cliff will depend on the height of the cliff and the initial velocity of the ball.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball down a cliff?

Air resistance will slow down the motion of the ball as it rolls down the cliff, as it acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion. However, for most practical purposes, the effect of air resistance on the ball's motion down a cliff can be ignored.

5. What happens to the energy of the ball as it reaches the bottom of the cliff?

As the ball reaches the bottom of the cliff, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Some of this energy will also be lost due to friction with the surface of the ground, resulting in a decrease in the ball's velocity as it comes to a stop.