What units does incident light have in UV spectroscopy

In summary, incident light has units of joules and transmission is defined as the amount of light that is transmitted through a solution per unit time.
Moogie
Hi

What units does incident light have in UV spec? Is it joules? Transmission is defined as transmitted light / incident light so any units of light simply cancel out to give a unitless number. I presume the original units were joules as light is EMR? Perhaps its more complicated than that

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Watts would be more appropriate, I think, as you would normally be considering a steady incidence of power.

sometimes the wavelength is specified as 1/length (i.e. cm^-1) in spectroscopy, because that more naturally relates to the scattering of light by matter.

Agreed.

Transmission refers to an amount of light though.

You often use wavenumber in IR spec as the units of 1/wavelength are much more amenable than wavelength. But regardless, wavelength or wavenumber is the quantity that goes along the x axis. The amount of light that passes through the solution at that wavelength is the transmission and that goes on the y-axis and that can't be measured in nm or cm^-1 (for wavenumber).

But then it makes your question rather vague. What "amount" are you quantifying? There is no such thing as an "amount" here without defining a physical quantity that is being measured. Is it energy, power, number of photons, etc.?

In optical transmission measurement, while it is often that the quantity of interest is often the wave number, even this has a connection to the photon energy (see the simple conversion on the inside back cover of Ashcroft and Mermin's text).

Zz.

I suppose that's what I was trying to ask. An amount of EMR is energy so surely its joules? But I'm not used to dealing with EMR so it just seemed unusual and I wanted confirmation

Moogie said:
I suppose that's what I was trying to ask. An amount of EMR is energy so surely its joules? But I'm not used to dealing with EMR so it just seemed unusual and I wanted confirmation

But if you are quantifying the energy in Joules, you need to specify the "window" of the measurement, i.e. how long was the detector open to receive that much energy. If not, I could do the same measurement with a different time window on the SAME light source, and get a different answer!

Most photodetector will give you a reading of "power", i.e. the rate of energy received. This makes a bit more sense, especially if you know either the light spot size or the photodetector area. Either one of these will give you all the other information (such as energy per unit time) that you might need.

Zz.

Thanks. I believe that was what sophiecentaur suggested until he/she changed their mind

Related to What units does incident light have in UV spectroscopy

1. What is incident light in UV spectroscopy?

Incident light in UV spectroscopy refers to the light that is directed onto a sample being analyzed. It is the initial light source that interacts with the sample and produces a spectrum.

2. What are the units used to measure incident light in UV spectroscopy?

The units used to measure incident light in UV spectroscopy are typically watts (W) or milliwatts (mW). These units indicate the amount of power of the light source that is directed onto the sample.

3. Can incident light have different units in UV spectroscopy?

Yes, incident light can have different units in UV spectroscopy depending on the type of instrument being used. In some cases, intensity units such as microwatts (μW) or joules (J) may be used instead of power units.

4. How is incident light measured in UV spectroscopy?

Incident light is typically measured using a power meter, which is a device that measures the power of a light beam. The power meter is placed in the path of the incident light and provides a reading in the appropriate units.

5. Why is it important to measure incident light in UV spectroscopy?

Measuring incident light in UV spectroscopy is important because it allows for accurate and reproducible results. The intensity of the incident light can affect the absorption of the sample and ultimately impact the generated spectrum. By measuring and controlling the incident light, the reliability and precision of the analysis can be improved.