What types of jobs are available for chemical engineers in the tech industry?

In summary: See what they do and send in an application whether you see a job or not maybe something will appear.
spectastic
this is a bit unusual place to put this, but I currently work in the oil/gas industry. it's good experience thus far (almost 2 years), but i can't see myself doing this for much longer. I've always wanted to do research, and in fact dedicated most of my undergrad doing this, and was planning to go back to school, but it didn't work out due to funding issues and I guess a combination of bad luck and a so-so application profile. My area of interest is in polymers, and I'd like to put my foot in the door for the tech industry, just to try something new. I've considered photovoltaics and organic semiconductors, but I don't believe those technologies will really take off in the next several years. Considering that my interest is in polymers, I guess I can't really get too far away from oil/gas because almost all rubber/plastics are derived from refined petro.

I guess my desire is to work in an industry that's more relevant , and has a greater, more direct impact to consumer needs. My understanding is that the work environment for these types of jobs are more relaxed and innovative. People won't be working with 50 years old equipment or coming up with ways to run a unit with a crippled leg like we're doing right now, just to be able to meet the production goals. There's less focus on bottomline, and more focus on creative problem solving (which I enjoy very much)

My problem is that I don't have a clue what types of jobs are out there in the tech industry for chemical engineers. I've done job searches, but some insight would be much more helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at DuPont or Dow chemical? They are major players in the chemical industry.

http://www.dupont.com/corporate-functions/careers/career-paths/articles/engineering.html

See what they do and send in an application whether you see a job or not maybe something will appear.

Basically scout out the industry leaders and see what they are working on, get familiar with the territory and then craft your resume for specific jobs of interest. Remember to save each resume you sent out in the event you get an interview. They will use your resume as a talking point and you need to know what they are reading and have answers for any breaks in your career...

the plant I work at actually used to belong to DuPont, and half the plant actually still belongs to them. Like I said, I want to get away from the oil/gas. There's too much emphasis on bottomline, and a string of other BS, that takes the fun right out of my job. I miss working in the lab, and problem solving.

spectastic said:
the plant I work at actually used to belong to DuPont, and half the plant actually still belongs to them. Like I said, I want to get away from the oil/gas. There's too much emphasis on bottomline, and a string of other BS, that takes the fun right out of my job. I miss working in the lab, and problem solving.

Dupont is more than oil/gas check out this page:

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services.html

Your problem is that you really want to go where the research is done and that is usually for a very select few at some key DuPont Research Lab:

http://www.dupont.com/corporate-functions/our-approach/science/science-and-technology.html

I can understand your desire to explore new industries and utilize your skills in a more innovative and impactful way. The tech industry is a rapidly growing and evolving field with endless opportunities for research and development. It is great that you have a specific area of interest in polymers, as this can be applied to various industries within the tech sector.

One way to get your foot in the door is to network with professionals in the tech industry, attend conferences and workshops, and keep an eye out for job openings in your area of interest. You can also consider reaching out to companies directly to inquire about potential job opportunities or internships.

In terms of specific job roles, chemical engineers can have a variety of roles in the tech industry, such as process engineers, research and development scientists, quality control engineers, and production managers. It may also be helpful to consider the specific applications of polymers in different industries, such as in electronics, medical devices, or consumer products, to narrow down your job search.

Additionally, you may want to consider further education or training in specific areas of interest within the tech industry, such as materials science or nanotechnology, to make yourself more competitive for certain roles.

Overall, the tech industry offers a dynamic and innovative work environment with numerous opportunities for chemical engineers to apply their skills and make a direct impact on consumer needs. I wish you the best of luck in your job search and transition to this exciting industry.

Related to What types of jobs are available for chemical engineers in the tech industry?

1. What types of careers are available in the tech industry?

There are a wide variety of careers available in the tech industry, including software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, project management, user experience design, and many more. The industry is constantly evolving, so there are always new and emerging roles to explore.

2. What skills are important to have for a career in the tech industry?

Some important skills for a career in the tech industry include programming languages, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, communication skills, and adaptability. Having a strong foundation in computer science or other related fields can also be beneficial.

3. What education is needed for a career in the tech industry?

Many roles in the tech industry require a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as computer science, information technology, or engineering. However, there are also many opportunities for individuals with certifications or specialized training programs. It's important to continually learn and stay updated on new technologies and skills.

4. What is the job outlook for careers in the tech industry?

The job outlook for careers in the tech industry is very positive, with a high demand for skilled professionals in various fields. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 11% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

5. How can I stand out in the tech industry job market?

To stand out in the tech industry job market, it's important to continuously develop your skills and stay updated on industry trends and technologies. Networking and building a strong professional presence can also help you stand out. Additionally, gaining experience through internships, projects, or open-source contributions can make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers.