Help with Logarithms: Exploring Graphs & Questions

In summary, logarithms are a way of working with exponents. They are used to solve equations. The equation y=log(x) can be solved for x by looking at the graph and seeing where the y-axis intersects the x-axis. The problems can be solved by doing the operations in the order given.
baltimores_finest
Logarithms...i need help.

A logarithm of a number is the exponent of the power to which a fixed number. called the base, must be raised to produce the given number.

I absolutely do not understand what these things mean. In my textbook it shows a graph of x=10y.
Then it follows with 6 questions which are as follows:
1. For what values of x do the corresponding logarithms change most rapidly?
2. How does the rate of change of y compare with that of x for values of x between 1 and 10?
3. For what values of x are the values of y negative?
4. What is the approximate value of y when x=8? 15? 28?
5. What is the number whose logarithm is .2? .4? 1.2? 1.4?
6. Show that in the graph log 10 is approximately equal to log 5+log 2; that log 5 is approximately equal to log 25-log 5. that log 27 is approximately equal to 3 log 3.

PLEASE ANSWER BUT EXPLAIN HOW THESE ARE DONE PLEASE...

Thanks.
:wink: Amber :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
baltimores_finest said:
A logarithm of a number is the exponent of the power to which a fixed number. called the base, must be raised to produce the given number.

I absolutely do not understand what these things mean.

I won't answer your questions for you, but I will try to explain logarithms so that you will understand them well enough to do them yourself.

If you take the equation

[tex]10^{2}=100[/tex]

Ten is the base, and 2 is the exponent.

A logarithm is basically solving for x in the following:

[tex]10^{x}=100[/tex]

here x = 2

for

[tex]10^{x}= 1000[/tex]

x=3

Another way of writing this would be

[tex]log_{10}1000 = 3[/tex]

Which would read "The log of 1000, base 10, is 3"

The general form of this equation is

[tex]log_{base}(number) = exponent[/tex]

The exponent (or log of the number) does not have to be a whole number.

Thus, the log of 5, base 10 would be 0.69897 or

[tex]log_{10}5 = 0.69897[/tex]

or of 15:

[tex]log_{10}15 = 1.1761[/tex]

Hope this helps

As your only worried about base 10 logarithms:

[tex]10^{log(x)} = x[/tex]

The above equation all you really need to know for now.

I assume that the graph in the book isn't x = 10y, but x = 10y, so just by looking at the above equation you should be able to see that y = log(x).

baltimores_finest said:

This phrase seems meaningless to me as well!.
I would have said:
A logarithm (with respect to a number B) of a number A is the power to which B must be raised in order to produce A.
The power to which we raise a number is often called the exponent;
the number to be raised is called the base.
If the base is B, the exponent that produces A is called the B-logarithm to A.

Read the other replies carefully; these detail the procedure needed to solve the problems.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. It represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. In other words, it helps us solve for an unknown exponent in an exponential equation.

2. How do I graph a logarithmic function?

To graph a logarithmic function, you can create a table of values by selecting different values for x and solving for y using the logarithmic function. You can then plot these points on a graph and connect them to create a smooth curve. It is also helpful to remember the basic shape of a logarithmic function, which is a curve that approaches the x-axis but never touches it.

3. What is the difference between a logarithmic function and an exponential function?

The main difference between a logarithmic function and an exponential function is that the input and output values are reversed. In an exponential function, the input is the exponent and the output is the result. In a logarithmic function, the input is the result and the output is the exponent. Additionally, exponential functions tend to increase rapidly, while logarithmic functions increase slowly.

4. How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These properties allow you to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable. You can also use the fact that logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions, so you can rewrite the equation in exponential form to solve for the variable.

5. What real-life applications use logarithms?

Logarithms have many real-life applications, including in finance, biology, and acoustics. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and investment growth. In biology, they are used to measure pH levels and earthquake intensity. In acoustics, they are used to measure sound levels and decibels. Logarithms are also used in computer science, chemistry, and other fields.