What topics in calc-based physics 1 use calculus?

In summary: So I would say that for most people, they would already be familiar with how they work.ok well then you are more than ready for the math portion of physics 1, just the concept part is all you need to learn.In summary, in calculus-based physics classes, the algebra-based math should transfer over to the calculus-based class.
iRaid
Hey guys, I'm wondering what topics in calc-based physics 1 (classical mechanics) actually use calculus. The only few that I can think of are motion laws, Newtons laws, work, SHM(?). Anything else that I'm missing (well I've only taken algebra based physics and calc 1, but I'm wondering what else calculus will be used for in physics 1.)

Does a lot of the math transfer from algebra based to calculus based?

Any input is appreciated.

Note: I know that calculus is used much more in E&M, I don't need that explained, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may do a derivative and integral here and there. For the most part, calculus in Physics I is used for derivations. The algebra-based math should transfer over to the calculus-based class.

jedishrfu said:
shm = simple harmonic motion ie pendulums, springs...

Lol I know what it is, the question mark was because I wasn't positive calculus is used in it.

Probably angular stuff and gravity.

The thing is with calculus based physics I, they tell you how all those equations came about using calculus. For example, the equation for spring for F = -kx. They then would tell you in an algebra class that spring work W = 1/2kx^2. This just comes from calculus but instead of telling you where it comes from they just kind of tell you to know it.

Woopydalan said:
The thing is with calculus based physics I, they tell you how all those equations came about using calculus. For example, the equation for spring for F = -kx. They then would tell you in an algebra class that spring work W = 1/2kx^2. This just comes from calculus but instead of telling you where it comes from they just kind of tell you to know it.

So they take the derivative of work to get the force of a spring..? If that's the only difference then this class should be a piece of cake lol.

that was my experience, it was nearly identical to algebra based physics other than what I previously mentioned, as well as they go over cross and dot product. You know for the work its been Fdcosθ...but they didn't tell you that was from the dot product. Same with using cross product for torque. Some vector notation used and it's nearly the same as an algebra based class.

Woopydalan said:
that was my experience, it was nearly identical to algebra based physics other than what I previously mentioned, as well as they go over cross and dot product. You know for the work its been Fdcosθ...but they didn't tell you that was from the dot product. Same with using cross product for torque. Some vector notation used and it's nearly the same as an algebra based class.

Dot/cross products I learned how they're linked in physics in my precalc class lol.

ok well then you are more than ready for the math portion of physics 1, just the concept part is all you need to learn. For me the dot product/cross product wasn't introduced until third semester of calculus.

Related to What topics in calc-based physics 1 use calculus?

1. What is the main focus of Calculus Based Physics 1?

The main focus of Calculus Based Physics 1 is to introduce students to the fundamental principles and concepts of physics, including motion, forces, energy, and momentum, through the use of calculus. This course is typically taken by students majoring in engineering, mathematics, or science.

2. How is calculus used in Calculus Based Physics 1?

Calculus is used in Calculus Based Physics 1 to provide a more precise and detailed understanding of physical phenomena. It is used to model and analyze motion, forces, and energy in a continuous and mathematical way. Calculus also allows for the prediction of future behavior based on current conditions.

3. What are some common topics covered in Calculus Based Physics 1?

Some common topics covered in Calculus Based Physics 1 include kinematics, dynamics, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion. Students will also learn about the laws of motion and how to apply them to real-world situations using calculus.

4. How is Calculus Based Physics 1 different from other physics courses?

Calculus Based Physics 1 differs from other physics courses in that it incorporates the use of calculus to solve problems and understand physical phenomena. This allows for a deeper level of understanding and more precise analysis compared to algebra-based physics courses.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for students who take Calculus Based Physics 1?

Students who take Calculus Based Physics 1 may pursue careers in fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and other scientific fields. This course provides a strong foundation for further studies in these areas and can also lead to careers in research and development, data analysis, and other technical fields.