Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

What to take next fall

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
My course options for next fall are:
Nonlinear PDEs (probably going to take)
the three below are all offered at the same time and date
Mathematical physics
Evolutionary computations
Numerical analysis

What should I take?
Numerical and evolutionary both count as a numerical methods course.
If I don't take one of those this semester, I have to take finite element analysis in the spring.
Nonlinear PDEs and Mathematical Physics only come by rarely with nonlinear being more scarce.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
My course options for next fall are:
Nonlinear PDEs (probably going to take)
the three below are all offered at the same time and date
Mathematical physics
Evolutionary computations
Numerical analysis

What should I take?
Numerical and evolutionary both count as a numerical methods course.
If I don't take one of those this semester, I have to take finite element analysis in the spring.
Nonlinear PDEs and Mathematical Physics only come by rarely with nonlinear being more scarce.
I would more or less go for what would be most useful to you in your graduate studies. I don't remember if you're a PhD student or not; but given the types of problems you've been posting as of late, I would think Mathematical Physics would be something that you should consider taking. As for the other stuff, it's really up to you; if you think numerical analysis is the way to go, then go for it! However, I think you'll like mathematical physics, so why not take that since it's offered so rarely? :)

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I would more or less go for what would be most useful to you in your graduate studies. I don't remember if you're a PhD student or not; but given the types of problems you've been posting as of late, I would think Mathematical Physics would be something that you should consider taking. As for the other stuff, it's really up to you; if you think numerical analysis is the way to go, then go for it! However, I think you'll like mathematical physics, so why not take that since it's offered so rarely? :)
In the MS program, but I have to have a numerical class by spring since I will graduate then.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
In the MS program, but I have to have a numerical class by spring since I will graduate then.
So now the question is if its worthwhile waiting till the spring to take finite element analysis? I would probably make my decision once I know more of what to expect from a class like that and then compare it to the other two numerical analysis courses being offered in the fall.