Am I a Sinner? Exploring the Concept of Justice in God's Eyes

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: I admit that i am sinner. Ok, i can agree that the sin i committed deserves punishment, but is that justful to be Eternal Torment?How about the good I did, where is the rewards? Why not Eternal Reward too?
Saint

In my life, I did wrong, as well as good.
So far, I am not as bad as a criminal who breaks the law, commit killing, robbing and other felony.

But the bible condemns that I am Sinner, and the good that i did seems have no value to neutralise my wrong, even for a few percent!

Is that Just/Fair ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Saint

So far, I am not as bad as a criminal who breaks the law, commit killing, robbing and other felony.

But the bible condemns that I am Sinner, and the good that i did seems have no value to neutralise my wrong, even for a few percent!

Is that Just/Fair ?

It is the trick to brainwashing you, to start out by making you feel worthless. That makes it easier to force you to accept anything you are told.

Depends on your interpretation of the Bible.

My Reverse Pascal's Wager: Seriously, just live life as you feel it should be lived, without regrrets. If God is good, then He will forgive you. If God isn't, then you are screwed anyway.

Is that Just/Fair ?

For most people, no, but we're making an exception in your case. :smile:

It certainly is fair.

Note to Zero: your atheistic bigotry consistently blinds you to the possibility that any religous idea can have merit in the secular world. For example, note that in our justice system you can't, pardon the expression, get away with murder just because you did a few good deeds.

In our mortal justice system, you do bad and you get punished. God, however, delays the punishment, giving you a chance to correct your behavior and seek forgiveness for your mistakes. You need to strive to be an all around good person, not to do enough good things to neutralize your bad.

I think the problem isn't that but rather there is eternal punishment for a system of laws that you may not even know, and the rather dare I say it, materialist idea of two wrongs make a right inherent in the idea of punishment. Why should moral action be motivated by fear?

The whole thing is nonsense...a supposedly perfect creator created a seriously flawed creation, and then blames the creation. Like I said, it is a scam, perpetuated by people racked with self-loathing, and promoted by those who want to keep the sheep in line.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
It certainly is fair.

I fail to see how eternal damnation* is fair for any sin or combination of sins. The punishment is out of proportion to the crime.

* I suppose we would need to define this though since it means different things to different religions.

I was referring specifically to the topic of whether or not it was fair that one's good actions don't "neutralize" one's bad actions. Other topics are, well, other topics. :smile:

But since the thread has already been hijacked...

Why should moral action be motivated by fear?

Why do you think it (always) is? Some people act morally because it's the "right" thing to do, and in a perfect world so would all people.

Anyways, even if you don't believe religion, such a concept certainly has societal value because it discourages illegal behaviour that would otherwise go unnoticed by the justice system.

I fail to see how eternal damnation* is fair for any sin or combination of sins. The punishment is out of proportion to the crime.

Is it? The crime isn't merely the sins committed, but one's unwillingness to act rightously. Forgivness for your sins is easy to get, at least in Christianity.

Good deeds don't matter...sucking up to the Man is what counts. All you have to do is give up your dignity and humanity, and you are just fine!

All this talk about dignity coming from someone using a bloody face for an avatar...

Anyways, do you enjoy beating strawmen?

All this talk about dignity coming from someone using a bloody face for an avatar...

Anyways, do you enjoy beating strawmen?
No, I enjoy beating people...with sticks...

What does that have to do with anything? Can I help it if I find all the Christian 'sinner' and 'forgiveness' thing to be similar to Wayne and Garth bowing and whining 'We're not worthy! We're not worthy!'?

As I said, you're beating strawmen.

I admit that i am sinner. Ok, i can agree that the sin i committed deserves punishment, but is that justful to be Eternal Torment?
How about the good I did, where is the rewards? Why not Eternal Reward too?

As I said, you're beating strawmen.
Then show me the argument I should be hitting, if you would be so kind.

Why do you think it (always) is? Some people act morally because it's the "right" thing to do, and in a perfect world so would all people.
I am commenting that the existence of a heaven/hell, and a retributive style of justice (ie. eye for an eye) is somewhat incongruous with the more modern new-testament image as God being (a) fair, (b) fundamentally good, (c) desiring of free will.

Then show me the argument I should be hitting, if you would be so kind.

Something relating to the poster's topic would be nice, discussing the idea that good acts should "neutralize" bad acts. Even if you can't bring yourself to speak within a religous context, it's still an interesting question for secular morality / justice, and responding along those lines would certainly be better than slander. When is slander ever an appropriate response anyways?

Last edited:
I admit that i am sinner. Ok, i can agree that the sin i committed deserves punishment, but is that justful to be Eternal Torment?

If you're sorry you sinned and ask God for forgiveness, you do get Eternal Reward.

Something relating to the poster's topic would be nice, discussing the idea that good acts should "neutralize" bad acts. Even if you can't bring yourself to speak within a religous context, it's still an interesting question for secular morality / justice, and responding along those lines would certainly be better than slander. When is slander ever an appropriate response anyways?
You should point out the slander as well...unless I am slandering a mythological figure, in which case I invite it to appear in court to sue me...

The Christian viewpoint starts with the premise that people are loathsome and worthless. You start out negative, and nothing you do can change it. Plus, also according to Christianity, you are culpable for the actions of your parents. Such a standpoint is ethically reprehensible, and cannot be defended by any stretch of theology or logic that I have come across.

But, of course, you can get out of it by grovelling to the very creator who created you to be worthless and loathsome to begin with. Kissing butt isn't a great basis for ethical judgment either.

Yay, again with the off topic strawman beating.

Yay, again with the off topic strawman beating.
LOL, is it really? You could try facing what I say, instead of posting 'strawman' and leaving it at that. Where is my strawman, and what would be the correct 'man' to attack?

Is that Just/Fair ?

The Bible message is that God does indeed look at the good you do and take it into consideration: "For God is not unjust to forget your work" - Hebrews 6:10

Originally posted by Laser Eyes
The Bible message is that God does indeed look at the good you do and take it into consideration: "For God is not unjust to forget your work" - Hebrews 6:10
Good answer! Not a lot of Christians think that means anything, but good answer!

Originally posted by Zero
Good answer! Not a lot of Christians think that means anything, but good answer!

Zero, you misunderstood!
That bible verse only refers to the good done by christians for the sake of Christ, excluding whatever compatible good done by unbelievers.

Zero, you misunderstood!
That bible verse only refers to the good done by christians for the sake of Christ, excluding whatever compatible good done by unbelievers.
It is not really limited to work done by Christians excluding good things done by unbelievers. Here is the verse in full:

"For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward his name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister." - Hebrews 6:10

You have to remember that the Bible often speaks in illustrations and general principles that you have to take and apply to other situations. The point is that God sees all things that happen on Earth and he remembers them. He sees the bad things that we do and the good things that we do, not just Christians but all people. There are many sciptures which indicate this. If you don't think the verse above shows that God takes the good things people do into account try these:

"The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good." - Proverbs 15:3

"For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil." - Ecclesiastes 12:14

"And there is no creature hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of him to whom we must give account." - Hebrews 4:13

Zero, you misunderstood!
Well, no, I think I understand completely...it isn't the good deed that counts, it is the su8cking up to Jesus that counts.

Its kinda like car insurance. You can pay your bill on time for 5 years strait, and not get a good mark on your credit report. You miss one payment and you get a bad mark reported.

To me, Saint, what your asking is a good ground to disbelieve the nonsense that christianity preaches. For example:

"The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good." - Proverbs 15:3

"For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil." - Ecclesiastes 12:14

"And there is no creature hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of him to whom we must give account." - Hebrews 4:13

The first two, Proverbs 15:3 and Ecclesiastes 12:14 come from the old testament. As I understand the workings of christianity, when jesus died for our sins on the cross, he created a method for us to come into the glory of god, regardless of our deeds. All one must do is truly believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. This is the ticket into heaven, as I've understood.

Now this also makes you come to a problem, in that, a truly horrific person could get into heaven. Think about it, someday we could be playing volleyball in heaven with Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer, so long as they believe christ died for there sins.

If you dig deep enough eventually you will find so many problems that you just say to hell with it all.

My philosphy, If you can't be good, be good at it. Don't worry about pleasing some entity that can't take the time to prove to every single man and woman on Earth that he exists. If the afterlife is eternal, then we've got plenty of time to worry about it then. If some god choses to send me to hell for me living my life the way I have, then I'd probably have preferred to been there anyhow.

Besides, the way I see it, all the cool ppl are going to be in hell anyhow.

Initially the OT says that God will judge us based on our deeds, good and bad. For the bad we did, we will get punished "accordingly", for the good we did, we will get rewarded "accordingly" too; however, when it comes to NT, especially Revelation, the people are just separated into goats and sheep, the goats go to hell and the sheep go to heaven.

So, there is totally no Reward for the good done by the goats!
Is this the justice of God ?

Christians say that God can not tolerate even a little sin, so the unpardoned sinners must be banished from his face.
But, not believing in Jesus does not mean I am wicked, unrepenting! I could believe in other religions and do even better than the so-called christians. Anyway, christianity says that I can not be saved through my good deeds, no matter how hard I try!
It turns out to be I MUST ACCEPT JESUS as my Savior!
This sounds spooky to me, because I am FORCED to believe, it is CHOICE OF NO CHOICE.

Another thing, my pastor said, when we sin, we sin against God, we break his laws.

My confusion is, is there a God in the first place, and, if there is a God, I can't do anything good to benefit him, nor can i do anything bad to harm him; so, why my wrongdoing is sinning against God and must be punished eternally ?

[?]

Christians say that God can not tolerate even a little sin, so the unpardoned sinners must be banished from his face.
But, not believing in Jesus does not mean I am wicked, unrepenting! I could believe in other religions and do even better than the so-called christians. Anyway, christianity says that I can not be saved through my good deeds, no matter how hard I try!
It turns out to be I MUST ACCEPT JESUS as my Savior!
This sounds spooky to me, because I am FORCED to believe, it is CHOICE OF NO CHOICE.

Well, of course they would have to tell you that. If they didn't, then you might go to a different religion. Remember, they are trying to get as many converts as possible. They aren't going to allow you to think that you could worship at a different church.

Christians not only try to convert you, sometimes, when they know you are from different church that they do not agree, they will pursuade you to transfer to their church!

Here's a little hint: if a religion or ideology makes you feel bad, ignore it, and find another one. Take what is useful to you, and discard the rest.

That's the path I began about two years ago. I used to be a pretty strict Methodist Christian. Now, I feel like I have become more. My parents would argue that I have "lost the way" and now I'm not a "true Christian". But, I argue this: I was a "true Christian" when I was 13. There is no way I could be whatever I am at this point when I was 13. Isn't that something greater? I feel like Christianity was a fine springboard, but not the end of my journey.

Originally posted by Sunfist
That's the path I began about two years ago. I used to be a pretty strict Methodist Christian. Now, I feel like I have become more. My parents would argue that I have "lost the way" and now I'm not a "true Christian". But, I argue this: I was a "true Christian" when I was 13. There is no way I could be whatever I am at this point when I was 13. Isn't that something greater? I feel like Christianity was a fine springboard, but not the end of my journey.
Yeah...it is easy to claim to have a final answer. Easy, but false. You are not teh same person you were a year ago, and a year from now you will be different. Why would there be a single answer for you, for your whole life?

I agree! This is a goofy analogy, but you know how sometimes old people still dress like they did three decades ago? It's sort of like that. It's like people get to a point and they say, "Okay, that's all I need. Time to turn off the brain, stop thinking, and just coast out the end of my life." I have not reached that point.