What to do with a physics degree?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who plans to take AP Physics and Calculus in junior year and wants to go to college for a masters in physics but is unsure of what specific field. The student is also interested in attending MIT or WPI, but doesn't want to become a teacher. They are seeking advice on potential jobs in physics and what field would be best to major in. The conversation also touches on theoretical physics, computational physics, and the transferable skills gained from a physics degree. There is also a mention of interest in aerospace design.
chuckd1356
I am a sophomore in high school, and I will be taking AP Physics my Junior year along with Calculus. I want to go to college to get my masters in some field of physics, but I am not sure what. I am very good at math, and a lot of my previous classes went much too slow for me. My goal is to get accepted and attend MIT (and WPI as a backup).

I don't want to teach, but it would be fun. I am looking to learn what some good jobs would be with a physics degree. I live in New England (not that it has too much relevance, but I would like a job near by).

Also, what's a good field to major in?

Thanks in advance, all comments are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the help.

But, say I wanted to major in Theoretical Physics, is there really anything I can do?

Read. It will solve all problems

chuckd1356 said:
But, say I wanted to major in Theoretical Physics, is there really anything I can do?

Do you know how to flip burgers?

<ZapperZ runs and hides>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you know how to flip burgers?

<ZapperZ runs and hides>

Zz.

C'mon ZapperZ, he said theoretical physics, not string theory :-p .

<runs and hides w/ ZapperZ>

I doubt he'll know how to flip burgers but he could give you a complex report about the dynamics of flipping a burger along with several predictions about burger flipping that will not be able to be tested for several decades because the equipment necessary has not yet been manufactured.

chuckd1356 said:
Also, what's a good field to major in?

you could use your string theory degree to help you figure out why the burger won't be converted into a wave of potentials

<Hides under unit_circle>

chuckd1356 said:

First off, you don't major in "Theoretical Physics." Physics has many subfields, and usually the people working in these fields are called "experimentalists" or "theorists," but there are also gray areas like computational physics and phenomenology.

Second, a degree in physics doesn't mean you have to work a as "physicist." You can apply your skills all over, like in engineering, computer programming, finance, the list goes on and on.

But hey, your still in high school, you got a while before you have to pick a major at a university.

My degree is in theoretical physics and I work in industry, string theorists need not apply. In industry as a theorist you can run and develop computer models, perform simulations etc... We tend to design systems give realistic predictions and build test parts at the end of the design phase. If prediction matches measured, we declare victory and go on tho the next level of development, if not we look at adding complexity to our models and keep going. Building and testing parts is expensive and when the customer is happy with our prediction codes and methodology they don't force us to build, test, model...repeat to get to their expectations. The future is in mathematical modeling. My co-workers nephew is going to Olin in Boston for engineering. He has to design systems via solidworks and perform tests and simulations, if you have a part wrong the robot or whatever is being designed pops apart or the gears break etc...He then has build it and compare reality to his model.

You can do the same with a physics degree if you are patient and willing to work towards a goal.

Dr Transport said:
You can do the same with a physics degree

Unless he becomes a string theorist

I can cook, not that it has any relevance to what I want to do in life, because I will never work at a McDonalds or Burger King...

And, NO, I didn't want to be a string theorist. Although it interests me, I see jobs for it except at major universities, maybe.

But I have one more question, what does theoretical physics have to do with computer programming? Are you talking like circuitry programming or like Java, Pascal, C, C#, etc...?

There is a field of physics often referred to as computational physics, which uses a high degree of mathematics to model physical systems/phenomena in combination with (I am assuming) complex computer programming to create detailed and accurate simulations.

From what I understand, for instance, one might be able to use the relevant maths and physics to create an accurate representation via computational modeling, of a particular phenomena (e.g. modeling the evolution of a black hole or the early seconds of the universe). Although, I am sure in industry, they probably model more relevant, less theoretical simulations and more real world applications.

Although, I am sure Dr. Transport will provide a much better explanation than I, as I am not even confident that my answer even roughly describes that particular field.

Last edited:
Getting a degree in physics isn't all about learning physics. A lot of it is also the learning, critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills you pick up learning all that material. Those are the things that translate to succeeding in jobs outside a straight physics career. Don't make the mistake thinking that a physics degree means you have to do something physics related. That's pretty narrow thinking. Use the skills you develop during your learning to apply to other fields.

Last edited:
I would like to do something that involves aerospace design or something similar.

chuckd1356 said:
I would like to do something that involves aerospace design or something similar.

Have you explored any aerospace engineering curiculums offered at universities to decide if that is the general field you are interested in?

Are you more interested in building, design or both?

Are you interested in attending graduate school afterwards, if so, have you looked into aerospace graudate programs to see if physics majors have good retention rates in your programs of interests (or if they are even admitted into a specific program)?

I am completely retarded when it comes to aerospace and anything related to it, so I tried to think of some questions that might help guide your interests so others can help. If my questions are of no significance, please disregard them.

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
Have you explored any aerospace engineering curiculums offered at universities to decide if that is the general field you are interested in?

Are you more interested in building, design or both?

Are you interested in attending graduate school afterwards, if so, have you looked into aerospace graudate programs to see if physics majors have good retention rates in your programs of interests (or if they are even admitted into a specific program)?

I am completely retarded when it comes to aerospace and anything related to it, so I tried to think of some questions that might help guide your interests so others can help. If my questions are of no significance, please disregard them.

Yes, briefly though, I am planning to do more research once my midterms are over with. :zzz:

I am definitely planning to go to graduate school. I would like to attend MIT or WPI for either undergrad or grad (or maybe both if I can come up with the money).

I think I would want to be more involved with the research side and design rather than the actual engineering.

Just a quick word of advice. If you get into both MIT and WPI, and you want to go to MIT for grad, then you should go to WPI. From what I hear, MIT very rarely, if ever, allows undergrads to be in their grad program. This may be a rumor but I've heard it from several different people. The reason is that they want the MIT taught student to go out and contribute to other institutions.

Related to What to do with a physics degree?

1. What career options are available with a physics degree?

With a physics degree, you can pursue a variety of careers in industries such as research and development, engineering, finance, data analysis, and education. Some common job titles for physics graduates include physicist, engineer, data analyst, research scientist, and teacher.

2. Is a physics degree only useful for academic or research positions?

No, a physics degree is not limited to academic or research positions. The skills and knowledge gained from studying physics can be applied in various industries, including technology, finance, and healthcare. Many employers value the analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills that physics graduates possess.

3. What can I do to stand out in the job market with a physics degree?

To stand out in the job market with a physics degree, you can participate in internships or research projects, gain relevant experience through part-time jobs or volunteering, develop strong communication and teamwork skills, and highlight your technical skills and knowledge on your resume and during interviews.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement in a physics career?

A career in physics can offer opportunities for advancement, depending on the individual's interests and goals. With experience and further education, physicists can advance to senior or managerial positions, lead research projects, or even start their own companies. Additionally, many physicists go on to pursue graduate degrees in specialized fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or engineering.

5. Can I use my physics degree in non-science related fields?

Yes, a physics degree can be applied in non-science related fields. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained from studying physics can be valuable in fields such as finance, data analysis, or consulting. Additionally, many employers value the strong mathematical and technical background of physics graduates, making them desirable candidates for a wide range of industries and jobs.