What to do with 1 year+ expired bleach?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, Bleach expired in 2020 and I used newer bottles and forgot about it. It was safe to open and pour down the sink.
kyphysics
Mine expired in March 2020...I had it "hidden" under a laundry area sink and was using newer ones and forgot about it...

Safe to open?

Safe to pour down drain?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just guessing the concentration as the hypochlorite is now too weak to do anything. You have just an alkaline solution, and you should be able to run it down the sink with running water. I would still take care to not touch it, not splash it, and not allow any to get into eyes.

Definitely safe to open, if it wasn't left opened it is most likely still active and OK to use.

Regulations require expiration dates even on things that have infinite shelf life. The only bad thing that can happen to bleach is it can lose activity if the chlorine seeps out.

Likes bob012345, Wrichik Basu, Spinnor and 3 others
Borek said:
Regulations require expiration dates even on things that have infinite shelf life.

About that bleach... Likely it's just as good as a new one.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, George Keeling, 256bits and 5 others
kyphysics said:
Safe to pour down drain?
Maybe check your local city/county website to see if they consider it a "household hazardous waste". If it is, you should be able to find a free drop-off/recycling center where you can take it (and any other stuff you are wanting to get rid of). This is for where I live:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/rwr/hhw/Pages/What-is-Household-Hazardous-Waste-and-How-do-I-Dispose-of-it-.aspx

Likes kyphysics and BillTre
Can you not use it in circumstances where the exact free chlorine concentration is not critical?? It is likely just a little less potent than advertised. Wash your deck or your white clothes. Don't just pour it down the sink! Save our planet, please.

Likes Jodo, Spinnor, russ_watters and 6 others
hutchphd said:
[...] Wash your deck or your white clothes. Don't just pour it down the sink! Save our planet, please.
Umm,... wouldn't it just end up down the drain anyway?

( I suspect COVID-19 is doing far more to save the planet -- by reducing the human population. :oldfrown: )

Likes Spinnor
hutchphd said:
Don't just pour it down the sink!
Sink will be sparkling clean!

strangerep said:
Umm,... wouldn't it just end up down the drain anyway?
Yes, but you would have poured one gallon down the drain. If you pour it down the drain without using it, and then buy a new bottle to use, so it ends up down the drain, you would have done the same cleaning at a cost of two gallons down the sink.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
Maybe check your local city/county website to see if they consider it a "household hazardous waste". If it is, you should be able to find a free drop-off/recycling center where you can take it (and any other stuff you are wanting to get rid of). This is for where I live:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/rwr/hhw/Pages/What-is-Household-Hazardous-Waste-and-How-do-I-Dispose-of-it-.aspx
1.) Thanks everyone for the input.

2.) I think I'll take this approach first...THEN see what else I can do.

3.) This may sound "bad," but I thought of taking it to my local library and pouring it down THEIR sink with running water if it was safe to open and pour down sinks. LOL. Figured if it damaged something, it'd be THEIR sink/pipes/etc. Who knows...maybe they'd arrest me or something.

Aww... come on folks! At around 7% sodium hypochlorite you would have to dump a significant amount on a fair sized surface for real problems to occur. For instance covering the bottom of a kitchen sink straight out of the container would NOT be a good idea.

About a week ago I went to use some bleach that had been sitting around for roughly a year. When opened there was NO Chlorine smell at all (yes, the cap was tight.) I dumped it down the drain, trashed the bottle, and bought a fresh bottle.

For super safety, you can take it outdoors, with it pointed away from you and the wind to your back, and open it. Then cautiously smell it. If it smells like Chlorine, use it, else discard and replace.

Been there, done that
Tom

Likes symbolipoint
kyphysics said:
Mine expired in March 2020...I had it "hidden" under a laundry area sink and was using newer ones and forgot about it...

Safe to open?

Safe to pour down drain?
Use it as normal. It may not work as well as fresh stuff, but it probably will.

berkeman said:

It is OK to put it down the drain 1 cup at a time in the wash so why not pour it down the drain in dilution unless you have a septic tank. Can't imagine it being considered hazardous as it is an oxidizer, right? So it is going to find some yummy turds to oxidize before it gets to the waste treatment plant.

However it turns out that hot water can be detrimental to sewer systems. Many years ago an industrial operation in an industrial park near the sewage treatment plant shut down their boilers and drained 70K+ gallons of 180+ degree water into the sanitary sewer. No throttling, they just dumped it as fast as the tanks would drain. Heard later that the treatment plant guy were complaining that someone killed all their "bugs".

Guess I better check the expiration date on those U-238 pellets I bought.

Rive said:

About that bleach... Likely it's just as good as a new one.

Guess I better check the expiration date on those U-238 pellets I bought on Amazon last year.

Likes hutchphd
It's not going to hurt anything.
Flush it down the drain with ample water.
That's what happens to bleach when using it to clean the toilet or other household applications, isn't it?

Sodium hypochlorite bleach decomposes over time, and you'll gradually end up with less available chlorine in the solution, mainly just NaCl and NaOH.

(In applications where you really need to have confidence that it has germ-killing potency, like in hospital labs, microbiology, or anywhere where biohazards are handled, safety regulators insist that bleach must be carefully monitored for expiry date and replaced, so that it is known to still be active to do its job.)

Likes symbolipoint
kyphysics said:
3.) This may sound "bad," but I thought of taking it to my local library and pouring it down THEIR sink with running water if it was safe to open and pour down sinks. LOL. Figured if it damaged something, it'd be THEIR sink/pipes/etc. Who knows...maybe they'd arrest me or something.
Your getting a little carried away there aren't you?
Out of sight - out of mind :rolleyes:

minerva said:
(In applications where you really need to have confidence that it has germ-killing potency, like in hospital labs, microbiology, or anywhere where biohazards are handled, safety regulators insist that bleach must be carefully monitored for expiry date and replaced, so that it is known to still be active to do its job.)
Or, if person is equipped, actual bleach (hypochlorite) can be measured.

Tom.G said:
Aww... come on folks! At around 7% sodium hypochlorite you would have to dump a significant amount on a fair sized surface for real problems to occur. For instance covering the bottom of a kitchen sink straight out of the container would NOT be a good idea.

About a week ago I went to use some bleach that had been sitting around for roughly a year. When opened there was NO Chlorine smell at all (yes, the cap was tight.) I dumped it down the drain, trashed the bottle, and bought a fresh bottle.

For super safety, you can take it outdoors, with it pointed away from you and the wind to your back, and open it. Then cautiously smell it. If it smells like Chlorine, use it, else discard and replace.

Been there, done that
Tom
Did you get the same bleach? What product was it? It would be interesting to see what it was and to look at the label. Thanks.

Likes Keith_McClary

Related to What to do with 1 year+ expired bleach?

What happens when bleach expires?

When bleach expires, it loses its effectiveness as a disinfectant and may not be as effective at removing stains or whitening clothes. The chemical composition of the bleach may also change, making it less stable and potentially hazardous to use.

Can expired bleach still be used?

It is not recommended to use expired bleach as it may not be as effective and could potentially be harmful. It is best to dispose of expired bleach properly and use a new, unexpired bottle for cleaning and disinfecting.

How should I dispose of expired bleach?

Expired bleach should be disposed of properly according to local regulations. In most cases, it can be safely poured down the drain with plenty of water. However, if you are unsure, contact your local waste management facility for guidance.

Is it safe to mix expired bleach with other cleaning products?

No, it is not safe to mix expired bleach with other cleaning products, especially ammonia or vinegar. This can create toxic fumes that can be harmful to your health. It is important to always read and follow the instructions on cleaning products and never mix them together.

How can I tell if bleach has expired?

Bleach usually has a shelf life of about 6 months to 1 year. You can tell if bleach has expired by checking the expiration date on the bottle. If there is no date, you can also check the color and smell of the bleach. Expired bleach may have a yellowish tint and a strong, pungent odor. If you are unsure, it is best to err on the side of caution and dispose of the bleach.