What text editor should I use for HTML5?

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, the conversation discusses different text editors that can be used for web programming, specifically HTML and HTML5. Options include Notepad++, Visual Web Developer, WebMatrix, Visual Studio for Web Express, Google Web Designer, and Sublime Text. The speaker mentions their preference for Notepad++ but acknowledges that others may prefer different tools depending on their needs. They also mention trying out Brackets and suggest Sublime Text as a popular choice among web programmers.
Math10
I used Notepad++ for HTML and CSS but should I also use Notepad++ for HTML5?

Technology news on Phys.org
emacs <ducks>
Use whichever text editor you are most comfortable with (with a free-software licence).

You could also try Visual Web Developer 2010 Express (or the 2013 version), if you want to expand your web programming skills into the domains of ASP.NET, PHP, and SQL.

Personally I use notepad++. But WebMatrix , Visual Studio for Web Express and Google Web Designer are also good tools

What would you need that notepad++ doesn't have? I checked out something called Brackets and it IS a bit better just for HTML but if you are going to edit any other kind of flat file, notepad++ is much better.

I've spent much of the last couple of years working with web programmers and teaching web programming. Almost everyone I know uses Sublime Text for both HTML and related web languages (like javascript, Python, and Ruby). It's available on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can try it out for free for something like 30 days, and some just keep using it that way. Otherwise it costs about $70 after the 30 days expire if you don't want to see the messages on startup and shutdown.

Thank you guys.

Related to What text editor should I use for HTML5?

What text editor should I use for HTML5?

There are many text editors available for HTML5, and the best one for you may depend on your personal preferences and coding needs. Some popular options include Sublime Text, Atom, Visual Studio Code, and Notepad++. It's important to choose a text editor that you feel comfortable using and that has the features you need to efficiently write and edit HTML5 code.

Is there a specific text editor that is recommended for HTML5?

There is no one "right" text editor for HTML5, as it ultimately depends on the individual's preferences and needs. However, it can be helpful to choose a text editor that has specific features for HTML5, such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and code validation. It's also important to choose a text editor that is regularly updated and supported by a large community.

Do I need a separate text editor for HTML5?

While it is possible to write HTML5 code in a basic text editor like Notepad, specialized text editors designed for coding can greatly improve your productivity and efficiency. These editors often have features like auto-completion, code formatting, and debugging tools that make writing and editing HTML5 code much easier.

Are there any free text editors available for HTML5?

There are many free text editors available for HTML5, such as Visual Studio Code, Atom, and Notepad++. These editors offer a range of features and are regularly updated and supported by a large community. However, some may also offer paid versions with additional features.

Can I use a code editor instead of a text editor for HTML5?

Yes, you can use a code editor for HTML5 as they often have similar features to text editors. However, code editors are typically more complex and may have a steeper learning curve compared to text editors. It's important to choose a tool that you feel comfortable using and that meets your specific coding needs.