A Companion to Analysis , by Tom Korner

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the book "A Companion to Analysis" by Tom Korner has been taken down by the AMS and is no longer available for download. The book is still available for purchase on the AMS website for $80.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"A Companion to Analysis", by Tom Korner

"Companion" used to be a great online tome (600+pp) on real analysis, that was available for free. I had printed out only parts of it, thinking it would always be there. I went to the web site to access it, and much to my horror it had been picked up by the AMS and is now being sold for 80 bucks . What is worse, it will not be available till next year sometime. I am kicking myself for not having downloaded it.

If any of you out there has downloaded this book, and would not mind e-mailing a copy to me, please respond here or send me a PM, and I'll get my email address to you.

In the mean time, I will be busy downloading every single online resource I have ever found.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Lonewolf for sending me a copy of the book. I'm all set. If anyone else has been looking for this and would like a copy, just let me know.

I've recently uploaded this to a Yahoo Briefcase. If anyone is interested, PM me for the user name and password to the account.

Better still, if someone knows of a free web-host that will host files around 5mb, please let me know.

Hello,

is this a book from where one can start studying analysis or is it necessary to have some prerequisites ?

is it a book for undergraduate or graduate students ?

thanks

That would depend on the undergraduate or graduate concerned.

I believe the book arose from Korner's teaching at Cambridge, and I suspect the AMS will splash - 'suitable for the advanced undergraduate, beginning graduate' thing across the back because it will intend it for US audiences. If you're in the UK, then it's undergrad definitely, though whether it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year material will again depend on the university you're at.

thank you.

is this book suitable for self study as the title suggests "A Second First and First Second Course" having a certain basis, no ?

Also, can anyone send me the file of the book by email or indicate by PM the address of a website where I can find it.

If anyone is interested, PM me for the user name and password to the account.

I am interested, but I don't understand what you mean by this ? I did send you a PM

Better still, if someone knows of a free web-host that will host files around 5mb, please let me know.

try www.tiscali.fr

Apologies for the delayed response. I'm currently indulging in the usual end of semester mad rush of work. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get some time.

ok, thank you.

I did create a web page http://companion-to-analysis.chez.tiscali.fr/ [Broken]

and you can put the file there by ftp

Login FTP: book.korner@tiscali.fr
Password FTP: bookorner
FTP Server: ftp.chez.tiscali.fr

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main focus of "A Companion to Analysis" by Tom Korner?

The main focus of "A Companion to Analysis" is to provide a comprehensive guide to the concepts and techniques of analysis, with an emphasis on developing a deep understanding of the subject rather than just memorizing formulas and theorems.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, but it can also be useful for anyone interested in deepening their understanding of analysis.

3. What sets "A Companion to Analysis" apart from other analysis textbooks?

This book stands out for its engaging writing style, clear explanations, and numerous historical notes and anecdotes that provide context and motivation for the material. It also includes many challenging exercises and problems to help readers solidify their understanding.

4. Does "A Companion to Analysis" cover both real and complex analysis?

Yes, the book covers both real and complex analysis, as well as some basic functional analysis. It also introduces readers to some advanced topics such as measure theory and Lebesgue integration.

5. Can this book be used as a self-study resource?

Yes, "A Companion to Analysis" can be used for self-study, as it includes detailed explanations and examples, as well as solutions to selected exercises. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or mentor when possible to fully grasp the material.