What software would be good for writing a book?

In summary, the conversation discusses the type of software that would be suitable for writing a book, specifically a physics textbook. The options mentioned include a standard word processor like MS Word for writing a novel and Latex for both types of books. The individual also mentions using a program called Texmacs for writing a physics book, which allows for starting a MATLAB session within the document. Other options mentioned include Scientific's Software and a default text application like Word. The individual asks for input on these options.
darkar

Computer science news on Phys.org
I should ask, what kind of book do you mean?

There is a far cry between a physics textbook and a pulp fiction novel, which would require entirely different resources.

For the latter all you would need would be a standard word processor like MS Word.

For the former its more complicated.

Latex is great for both.

Ooook.

Well, i m finding one for writing physics book

This is what I use:

http://www.texmacs.org/index.php3

The only thing is that the windows version isn't as feature filled as the linux/unix versions.

The program is great because I can start a MATLAB session right inside of the document itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on whether you want to write a novel to make your living off of or you just want to write a story for fun or something. Usually, unless you are really serious about publishing your book, the default text application (word on windows and whatevertheyuse on mac) should work fine.

On the way of testing the software, i found another few softwares. One of them is Scientific's Software, u can check it out here http://licensing.mackichan.com/

Anyone using this software, or do u hav any idea abt it?

Related to What software would be good for writing a book?

There are many software options available for writing a book, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. However, some popular choices among writers include Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Scrivener, and Evernote.

What features should I look for in writing software?

When considering writing software, it's important to look for features that will support your writing process. This may include features such as word count tracking, organization tools, formatting options, and the ability to easily save and export your work.

Is it necessary to invest in expensive writing software?

No, it is not necessary to invest in expensive writing software. There are many free or low-cost options available that can still provide the necessary tools for writing a book. It's important to evaluate your needs and budget before deciding on a software.

Can I use multiple writing software for my book?

Yes, you can use multiple writing software for your book. Some writers may prefer to use one software for drafting and another for editing, or may use different software for different parts of the writing process. It's important to find what works best for you.

Are there any specific writing software for certain genres?

While there are some writing software that may cater to specific genres, such as scriptwriting or poetry, most writing software can be used for any genre. It's important to choose a software that fits your personal writing style and needs, rather than solely considering the genre.