What software for optimization surface of 4 parameters?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum of a function with 60,000 values while ensuring stability. The person is looking for the best tool to use and is considering using either R or Matlab. The suggested approach is to use the Nelder-Mead optimization method in R, which does not require an explicit form of the function. The person is also recommended to look into books and resources on the subject for more information.
Tosh5457
Hello,

I have data for optimization that contains different values of 4 different parameters, and the respective function value based on them. I want to find the maximum of this function, while making sure it's a "stable" maximum, i.e., for nearby parameters, the value of the function shouldn't change that much. My only question is what tool to use for this, since I have 60k values in total? I have experience in Matlab, can that be done in a reasonable amount of time there? I also have some basic knowledge of R, and can learn fast anyway, is this more suitable to do in R?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tosh5457 said:
Hello,

I have data for optimization that contains different values of 4 different parameters, and the respective function value based on them. I want to find the maximum of this function, while making sure it's a "stable" maximum, i.e., for nearby parameters, the value of the function shouldn't change that much. My only question is what tool to use for this, since I have 60k values in total? I have experience in Matlab, can that be done in a reasonable amount of time there? I also have some basic knowledge of R, and can learn fast anyway, is this more suitable to do in R?

Thanks!

I would definitely go with R, even (or I should say especially) with 60,000 values. Also, but depending on the context, I think the Nelder-Mead optimization method would be an interesting approach to try.

I've used the neldermead package before and it served me well.

More information here : https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/neldermead/neldermead.pdf

h6ss said:
I would definitely go with R, even (or I should say especially) with 60,000 values. Also, but depending on the context, I think the Nelder-Mead optimization method would be an interesting approach to try.

I've used the neldermead package before and it served me well.

More information here : https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/neldermead/neldermead.pdf

Thank you, will definitely look into that method in R.

Ok, Nelder-mead won't work, because I don't have the function explicitly...

Tosh5457 said:
Ok, Nelder-mead won't work, because I don't have the function explicitly...
The explicit form of the function is not necessary. The Nelder-Mead algorithm only requires function values.

The algorithm is often called the "simplex" method, maybe you can find more information about it under that label. Also, many books cover the subject, e.g. Richard Brent's book Algorithms for Minimization Without Derivatives.

Related to What software for optimization surface of 4 parameters?

1. What is optimization software?

Optimization software is a type of computer program that is designed to find the best solution to a problem by analyzing various parameters and identifying the most optimal combination of values.

2. How does optimization software work?

Optimization software uses mathematical and computational algorithms to analyze and manipulate input parameters in order to find the best possible outcome. It may also incorporate machine learning techniques to improve its performance over time.

3. Can optimization software be used for any type of problem?

Optimization software can be used for a wide range of problems, including engineering design, financial analysis, data analysis, and many others. However, it is important to choose the right software for the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the benefits of using optimization software?

Using optimization software can lead to significant time and cost savings, as it can quickly and accurately identify the best solution to a problem. It can also help to improve efficiency and performance in various industries.

5. What are some popular optimization software programs for optimizing surfaces with 4 parameters?

Some popular optimization software programs for optimizing surfaces with 4 parameters include MATLAB, ANSYS, and GAMS. These programs offer a range of features and tools for solving optimization problems and are widely used in various industries and research fields.