What Software Can Design a High-Accuracy Collimator Lens?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a high accuracy collimator lens that can collimate a beam of light coming from an off-axis point. The person asking for help is looking for suitable software and ideas for designing the lens. They are given suggestions for software such as Zemax or the free version of OSLO, as well as the option of using a finished lens from a company like Edmund Optics. The goal is to design a lens that can collimate a conical beam of light with a diameter of 600 microns and keep the divergence angle under 1 mrad.
russel.arnold
Hi

I want to make a high accuracy collimator lens, such that it collimates ( with divergence angle < 1 micron) a beam of light coming from the focal plane but from off axis points as well ( -delta to + delta, where delta is in microns).

Sugest some suitable softwares (along with the link) which can be used to design this lens, and give any idea which u may have.

Thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can i find zemax on the internet. If yes, pls give me the link! I found one on their website, but its asking for hardware key. So I guess its not a free software :(
thanks a lot in advance

Nope it's quite expensive software (http://www.zemax.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=8&Itemid=135 ) but very cheap compared to code-V (http://www.opticalres.com/cv/cvprodds_f.html)

The only free optical design software I know of is the educational version of OSLO (http://www.sinopt.com/ ) - I don't think you need to be education but it is limited to system with only very few components. The interface is a little old fashioned but the answers are just as good as zemax

Last edited by a moderator:
sad

can u suggest me a wayout. I need to do this as soon as possible!

Either OSLO free version, or just do the maths yourself

Can u please outline the strategy how should i go about solving this. (How can i attack the problem in i have to do it manually). Actually this is the first time i am doing something like this.

I think I may have to use Q-u method ( ray tracing). right?

What exactly are you trying to do ?
It may be easier to just use a finished lens, a camera lens or a telescope rather than trying to assemble your own.

Take a look at the edmunds (http://www.edmundoptics.com/) aswell, they also have very good technical support

I have to design a lens which collimates a beam of light coming from a optical fiber (it will come in conical shape) of diameter 600 microns. Now, obviously, the light will come from off axis points as well. So if the face of the fiber is kept at the focus of a normal lens, then after collimation, the beam will have diverge ( I hope u can imagine why). I want to take care of this divergence (should be less than 1 mrad).

Thanks

Related to What Software Can Design a High-Accuracy Collimator Lens?

1. What is software for lens design?

Software for lens design is a computer program that allows scientists and engineers to design and simulate different types of lenses for various applications. This software takes into account factors such as lens material, shape, and curvature to create an accurate representation of the lens and its optical properties.

2. What are the benefits of using software for lens design?

Using software for lens design allows for faster and more accurate lens design compared to traditional methods. It also allows for the testing and optimization of various design parameters, resulting in a more efficient and cost-effective lens design process.

3. What types of lenses can be designed using this software?

Software for lens design can be used to design a wide range of lenses, including spherical, aspherical, cylindrical, and prismatic lenses. It can also be used to design complex lens systems, such as zoom lenses and multi-element lenses.

4. How does the software assist with the manufacturing process?

The software can generate detailed specifications and drawings for the lens, making it easier for manufacturers to produce the lens according to the design. It can also detect any potential manufacturing issues and provide solutions to optimize the production process.

5. Is specialized training required to use this software?

While some basic knowledge of optics and lens design principles is helpful, most software for lens design is designed to be user-friendly and does not require specialized training. However, advanced features and more complex lens designs may require additional training and experience to utilize effectively.