What Size Solar Cell is Needed to Recharge a 12V Battery Bank in 8 Hours?

In summary: I was looking for an answer to this question as well.In summary, if you have a battery bank with a 1000 watt solar panel, it will take 14 hours to charge the batteries.
aussie101
Hi all,
If I have a battery bank 12V@1000A-
what size solar cell (kW) will recharge this battery bank (from flat to full) over a 8 hour period?

Engineering news on Phys.org
aussie101 said:
Hi all,
If I have a battery bank 12V@1000A-
what size solar cell (kW) will recharge this battery bank (from flat to full) over a 8 hour period?

You need to calculate the full power stored in your battery bank.
Then you will have to estimate the amount required to generate that power in 8 hour.
Batteries do not charge at constant rate, rate slows when it gets charged more and more.
Solar intensity is not the same for full day, consider this too. You need to add the amount of power generated in 8 hours,it will not be same for every time of day. Consider this and then calculate what kWp- kilo Watts peak solar cell array you require.

like most things these days I'm out of my depth of knowledge.
let me pose the question another way-
how many days would a 1kw solar cell take to charge a battery rated at 12 volt @ 1000Ah estimate

aussie101 said:
like most things these days I'm out of my depth of knowledge.
let me pose the question another way-
how many days would a 1kw solar cell take to charge a battery rated at 12 volt @ 1000Ah estimate
Is it 1kw peak solar cell. That is does it produce a maximum power of 1kw at highest intensity of sunlight?

what ever will produce the most power

aussie101 said:
what ever will produce the most power

The more power it produces, the more it costs.
Why not use wind as energy source?

because a wave will rip it off the boat

There isn't enough information to give a good estimate, but it is possible to make some assumptions.

Suppose the solar panel was giving 14 volts out and everything was 100 % efficient.

The solar panel maximum current would be 1000 watts / 14 volts or 71 amps.

If it was OK to to charge the batteries at 71 amps, then it would take 1000 amp-hours / 71 amps or 14 hours to charge the batteries.

If you had 5 hours a day of good sunlight, then this would be about 3 days.

thankyou vk6kro,

Related to What Size Solar Cell is Needed to Recharge a 12V Battery Bank in 8 Hours?

1. How does solar charging of a battery work?

Solar charging of a battery works by converting sunlight into electricity using photovoltaic cells. The electricity is then stored in the battery for later use.

2. What type of battery is best for solar charging?

The best type of battery for solar charging is a deep-cycle battery, specifically designed for long-term energy storage. These batteries have thicker plates and can withstand frequent charging and discharging.

3. How long does it take to charge a battery from solar?

The time it takes to charge a battery from solar depends on various factors such as the size of the battery, the amount of sunlight, and the efficiency of the solar panels. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours to fully charge a battery from solar.

4. Can I use a regular charger for solar charging?

No, you cannot use a regular charger for solar charging. Solar chargers are specifically designed to regulate the flow of electricity from the solar panels to the battery, preventing overcharging and damage to the battery.

5. Is it safe to charge a battery from solar?

Yes, it is safe to charge a battery from solar as long as you follow proper safety precautions and use the correct equipment. Make sure to use a solar charger specifically designed for charging batteries and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.