What should I review to prepare for a university thermodynamics course?

In summary, the course is designed for people who have taken physics and are interested in taking a more in-depth look at thermodynamics. The math isn't too bad, and there are lots of concepts that will be covered. The class is for people who are in either an upper or lower division physics class.
Saladsamurai
I will be taking this course in Fall 08. Here is a description:

Defines and calculates thermodynamic properties such as energy, entropy, temperature, and pressure. Work and heat interactions are defined. The first and second laws of thermodynamics and concepts of thermodynamic equilibrium are introduced. Conservation of energy and mass and the entropy balance relation are discussed for open and closed systems. Irreversibility, energy, and the energy balance relation are introduced and applied in analyzing thermodynamic systems. Fundamentals of thermodynamics are used to model power generation and refrigeration systems. Covers thermodynamics of nonreacting gas mixtures with applications to air-water vapor mixtures for air-conditioning systems.

Obviously I should review the topics mentioned above that were covered in my Physics sequence, but is there anything else I could do to prepare for the course? Any maths or anything.

I am not too worried, I just like to have a jump on my course :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Good thinking!

What math have you had so far?

Edit: what level is the class - upper or lower division?

lisab said:
Good thinking!

What math have you had so far?
Calculus 1 and 2 (no multivariable yet), Diff Eqs , and I am (painfully) teaching myself Linear Algebra as we speak.

Edit: what level is the class - upper or lower division?

I am not sure how to answer this question. That is, I don't know what it means :redface: I am a Mech E major if that helps. And it's my first course in Thermo.
:smile:

Just be sure you are good with the ideas of partial differentiation, the chain rule, and exact differentials. These come up over and over again in the study of thermodynamics.

nicksauce said:
Just be sure you are good with the ideas of partial differentiation, the chain rule, and exact differentials. These come up over and over again in the study of thermodynamics.

Good tip! :smile: I'll get cracking on that.

The introductory thermodynamics for mechanical engineers is very concept oriented. The math isn't anything worse than what you've encountered in physics, though differentials and partial differentiation will arise, as many relations are developed by rearranging these sorts of equations. It wouldn't hurt to get a sneak peak at the 4 laws of thermodynamics (and their appropriate equations). Definitions of terms like "state" and "property" are pivotal, and will be thrown around with reckless abandon, so be comfortable with them. If you're feeling squirrelly, the thermodynamics potentials: internal energy, enthalpy, hemholtz free energy, and gibbs free energy.

Of course you should only look into this if you're actually interested, because thermodynamics will be waiting for you in fall.

nicksauce said:

I second nicksauce's advice.

What I meant by upper or lower division was the difference between introductory thermo and statistical mechanics (typically taken in the junior or senior year by physics majors). Intoductory classes utilize the calculus you've already taken, but statistical mechanics is heavily into the multivariate stuff. Sorry for the confusion :smile: !

ekrim said:
The introductory thermodynamics for mechanical engineers is very concept oriented. The math isn't anything worse than what you've encountered in physics, though differentials and partial differentiation will arise, as many relations are developed by rearranging these sorts of equations. It wouldn't hurt to get a sneak peak at the 4 laws of thermodynamics (and their appropriate equations). Definitions of terms like "state" and "property" are pivotal, and will be thrown around with reckless abandon, so be comfortable with them. If you're feeling squirrelly, the thermodynamics potentials: internal energy, enthalpy, hemholtz free energy, and gibbs free energy.

Of course you should only look into this if you're actually interested, because thermodynamics will be waiting for you in fall.
Cool. Thanks! :smile: Everything interests me; it's a curse.

lisab said:
I second nicksauce's advice.

What I meant by upper or lower division was the difference between introductory thermo and statistical mechanics (typically taken in the junior or senior year by physics majors). Intoductory classes utilize the calculus you've already taken, but statistical mechanics is heavily into the multivariate stuff. Sorry for the confusion :smile: !

Gotcha' :wink: And thanks for clarifying. :smile:

Saladsamurai said:
I will be taking this course in Fall 08. Here is a description:

Obviously I should review the topics mentioned above that were covered in my Physics sequence, but is there anything else I could do to prepare for the course? Any maths or anything.

I am not too worried, I just like to have a jump on my course :smile:

That looks like a standard course curriculum. It could help to review unit conversions: Btu's to Joules, for example- especially for heating and refrigeration applications. The math is likely to be not much more than algrebra, but if you can get a sneak-peak at the textbook, you can see for yourself.

You can start right now by reading this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_thermodynamic_relation" :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole course will likely be expressed in partial derivatives. Depedning on the book, you might also get into line integrals and some vector analysis. The best idea is to get a sketch of Calc 3 (multivariable and vector calculus). Get an idea of counting principles from high school, ie. baby statistics, which may be useful when deriving entropy. Not much physics is needed. Just be sure you know what work is, and how to picture it as area on a graph.

Howers said:
This whole course will likely be expressed in partial derivatives. Depedning on the book, you might also get into line integrals and some vector analysis. The best idea is to get a sketch of Calc 3 (multivariable and vector calculus). Get an idea of counting principles from high school, ie. baby statistics, which may be useful when deriving entropy. Not much physics is needed. Just be sure you know what work is, and how to picture it as area on a graph.

not engineering thermo

Related to What should I review to prepare for a university thermodynamics course?

1. What is University Thermodynamics?

University Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations in various systems. It involves the study of the relationship between heat, work, and various properties of matter such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. Why is University Thermodynamics important?

University Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of energy and matter in various systems, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It also forms the basis for many other fields of study, such as statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

3. What are the laws of University Thermodynamics?

The laws of University Thermodynamics consist of four main principles: the zeroth law, the first law, the second law, and the third law. The zeroth law states that if two systems are in thermal equilibrium with a third system, they are also in thermal equilibrium with each other. The first law is the law of conservation of energy, stating that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

4. How is University Thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

University Thermodynamics is applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather and climate, as well as in the production of materials and chemicals. Additionally, it is used in the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources and advanced materials.

5. What are some common misconceptions about University Thermodynamics?

One common misconception about University Thermodynamics is that it only applies to large-scale systems, when in fact it can also be applied to microscopic systems such as individual molecules. Another misconception is that the laws of thermodynamics only apply to closed systems, when in fact they also apply to open systems. Additionally, some people may think that thermodynamics only deals with heat and temperature, when it also includes other forms of energy such as work and potential energy.