What Should I Major in to Become a Research Scientist: Chemistry or Physics?

In summary, the difficulty of studying physics or chemistry depends on your individual strengths and interests. Physics involves more math while chemistry requires more conceptual thinking. Job opportunities in academia are similar for both fields, but chemists may have more opportunities in industry. To do research in either field, a PhD is typically required. It is important to keep your options open by taking courses in both physics and chemistry, as well as focusing on developing strong math skills.
b4champ15
I want to be some sort of a research scientist. I was wondering what you guys think would be better to study. Is one easier to get jobs with? How much harder is physics then chemistry? and finally how much would a research scientist with a masters degree earn right out of school with those degrees?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Physics isn't harder than chemistry. No science is intrinsically more difficult than any other, they're just difficult in different ways. So the difficulty depends on your own predisposition as well as interest and attitude. Physics involves more mathematics and mathematical thinking than chemistry, which requires more than biology. So if you view maths as a 'necessary evil' then maybe chemistry is better for you (all else being equal). If you like math and it comes easy to your, then physics is probably better. Again, that's if all else is equal. In the long run, aptitude for a subject won't compensate much for a lack of interest.

Job opportunities depends mostly on what your specialization is. As far as academia is concerned, there's not a lot of difference with either physics or chemistry. As far as industrial/private-sector is concerned, I'd say chemists generally have more opportunity to find related jobs in industry. But that also depends on where you live and what your local industries are, and again your specialization. A nuclear physicist obviously has more industry jobs than a theoretical chemist, who's still probably better off than a string theorist, etc.

Either way, if you want to do research in either field you'll need a PhD, unless you intend to work more at the engineering end of things, so you probably have a while to make up your mind if you're only picking a major now. I was once told that when it comes to e.g. organic chemistry that while you could do research in industry with an M.S., all the 'fun' problems required a PhD. I wouldn't make up my mind until I'd studied the stuff. A topic that might sound fun to you might turn out to be boring in its details and how it really is, and vice-versa. If you're genuinely undecided between physics and chemistry, you might want to take courses in stuff that can be applied in both fields to keep your options open, e.g. physical chemistry/chemical physics.

And in particular: mathematics. Insufficient math skills is a deal-breaker when it comes to continued study in physics or physical chemistry and it's still useful in other areas. In my experience it can make you more competitive, even, since chemists with physicist-level math skills are unusual. In other words: A biochemistry course counts for nothing if you want to go into physics, but a math course still counts for something if you want to go into biochemistry.

Likes Elvis 123456789

Related to What Should I Major in to Become a Research Scientist: Chemistry or Physics?

1. What is the difference between a Chemistry and Physics major?

A Chemistry major focuses on the study of matter, its properties, and composition, while a Physics major focuses on the study of energy, motion, and forces in the universe.

2. What career opportunities are available with a degree in Chemistry or Physics?

A degree in Chemistry can lead to careers in pharmaceuticals, environmental science, forensic science, and materials science. A degree in Physics can lead to careers in engineering, research and development, teaching, and technology.

3. Is a Chemistry or Physics major more challenging?

Both majors require a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills. However, some students may find the concepts in Physics more abstract and challenging, while others may struggle with the hands-on laboratory work in Chemistry. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

4. Can I major in both Chemistry and Physics?

Yes, some universities offer joint programs where students can major in both Chemistry and Physics. However, this can be a rigorous and time-consuming option, so it is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before pursuing a double major.

5. What is the importance of Chemistry and Physics in our daily lives?

Chemistry and Physics are essential to our understanding of the world around us and have numerous applications in our daily lives. From the medicines we take to the technology we use, these fields play a crucial role in improving our quality of life. Additionally, they help us understand complex phenomena such as climate change and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.