What should I do after AP chem?

• Thread starter azure kitsune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Chem
In summary, the speaker is a high school senior looking for a textbook to continue studying chemistry. They have a preference for textbooks with a focus on understanding and reasoning rather than memorization. They have completed AP Physics and are proficient in math. The suggested textbooks are "Chemistry: Principles and Reactions" by Masterton/Hurley for General Chemistry and "Organic Chemistry" by Brown/Poon for Organic Chemistry, with a solutions manual available. Another suggestion is "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling.
azure kitsune
I'm currently a high school senior. I self-studied for AP Chemistry (using Zumdahl) in 10th grade and would like to continue studying chemistry this year. My question is: what textbook should I use?

In AP Physics last year, teacher simply gave us a whole bunch of formulas to memorize. I went through them and figured out which ones were the definitions, which were the basic principles, and which could be derived from others using mathematical principles. So I'm the type of person who likes to find the reasoning behind everything. It reduces the amount of memorization and helps me understand things better.

I did pretty well in AP Phyiscs B last year, and for math, I've finished multivariable calculus and and currently self studying linear algebra. I would consider myself pretty good in math, so I wouldn't mind a textbook that's pretty math-heavy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for those suggestions. I will look into them.

Look at General Chemistry by Linus Pauling. Great book.

Related to What should I do after AP chem?

1. What are some recommended courses to take after AP Chemistry?

Some recommended courses to take after AP Chemistry include organic chemistry, biochemistry, physical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. These courses will build upon the concepts and skills learned in AP Chemistry and provide a strong foundation for advanced studies in chemistry.

2. Should I take AP Chemistry if I plan on majoring in a non-science field?

While AP Chemistry may not be directly related to your intended major, it is still a rigorous and valuable course that can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, many colleges and universities view AP Chemistry as a challenging course and may give credit or advanced placement to students who score well on the AP exam.

3. What careers can I pursue with a strong background in AP Chemistry?

A strong background in AP Chemistry can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, materials science, environmental science, and chemical engineering. It can also serve as a foundation for further studies in medicine, dentistry, or other health professions.

4. Is it necessary to take the AP Chemistry exam if I have completed the course?

Taking the AP Chemistry exam is not required, but it is highly recommended. The exam allows you to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in the subject and can potentially earn you college credit. Additionally, some colleges and universities may require the AP exam for admission into certain programs or as a prerequisite for advanced courses.

5. How can I stay engaged with chemistry after completing AP Chemistry?

There are many ways to stay engaged with chemistry after completing AP Chemistry. You can join a chemistry club or organization, participate in research opportunities, attend lectures or seminars, and read scientific journals. You can also consider taking advanced chemistry courses at a local community college or online to further your knowledge and skills in the subject.