What should I consider when applying for a PhD in mathematical physics?

In summary, the speaker is finishing up a master's degree in quantum chemistry but is more interested in the theoretical side of developing methods rather than using them. They are considering pursuing a PhD in mathematical physics, specifically in string theory. However, they are unsure about their chances given their limited experience in physics and their undergraduate degree in chemistry and mathematics. The speaker is looking for programs that combine advanced mathematics with real-world applications in theoretical physics. They are seeking advice on admission requirements and potential classes and research opportunities. Some recommended universities for studying mathematical physics include Stanford, UC Berkeley, Princeton, and MIT.
brydustin
right now I'm finishing up a master's degree in quantum chemistry, but I much prefer the development of the methods than the actual use of them (i.e. the more theoretical side of things). And I've been keeping on top of my mathematics of all flavor, and would really be interested in doing a phd in mathematical physics, in particular probably string theory. But I'm really not sure what people will think looking at my cv; I have very little experience in physics other than q.m. and my undergrad was in chemistry and mathematics. I'm about to have two publications, one in polymer dynamics, another in quantum chemistry; but I really want to do mathematical physics. Why do some universities classify it in the physics department but others as mathematics (I called one school and for their string theory program you had to have taken the physics GRE, which totally shocked me because I know many mathematicians that knew very little physics when they entered graduate school).

What sort of classes would I take in this program? I'm really hopping to learn more physics and more mathematics; I would love to learn advanced analysis as well as something more "real", like quantum dynamics. Are there any good programs that touch both of these fields, where I can continue to do rigorous proofs but actually apply them to something "useful" like theorectical physics (not that the math is not useful :P ) Any good schools? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to go about this would be to contact some theoretical physics and math departments at universities that offer a PhD program in mathematical physics. Ask them what the admissions requirements are for their program, what classes they offer, and what kind of research opportunities they have for students with your background. Some universities may require you to have taken a physics GRE, so make sure to check this before applying. In terms of classes, you will likely be taking advanced mathematics courses such as differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, topology, and probability. You will also likely need to learn more physics, such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and general relativity. Depending on the school, you may also be able to take courses in other related disciplines such as astrophysics and cosmology. Some good schools for mathematical physics include Stanford University, the University of California Berkeley, Princeton University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. There are many other excellent programs available, so do some research to find the one that best suits your needs. Good luck!

Related to What should I consider when applying for a PhD in mathematical physics?

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that utilizes mathematical methods to study and explain physical phenomena. It aims to describe and model complex systems in the natural world using mathematical concepts and equations.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying mathematical physics at the PhD level?

The prerequisites for studying mathematical physics at the PhD level typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in advanced calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A background in physics, specifically in classical and quantum mechanics, is also essential.

3. What are some common research topics in mathematical physics for PhD students?

Some common research topics in mathematical physics for PhD students include quantum field theory, general relativity, statistical mechanics, and mathematical modeling of physical systems. Other popular areas of study include fluid dynamics, astrophysics, and solid state physics.

4. What are the career opportunities for PhD graduates in mathematical physics?

Graduates with a PhD in mathematical physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government laboratories, and industrial settings. They can also pursue careers in data science, finance, and engineering, as their strong mathematical and analytical skills are highly valued in these fields.

5. How can I prepare for a PhD in mathematical physics?

To prepare for a PhD in mathematical physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Taking advanced courses in these subjects, as well as participating in research projects or internships, can also help you develop the necessary skills and experience for a successful PhD program. Additionally, seeking guidance from professors or current PhD students in the field can provide valuable insights and advice on the application process and program expectations.