What should be the shape around each carbon atom?

In summary: Plus, it's a really big molecule.In summary, Cubane is a hydrocarbon with the formula C8H8. It has a cubic shape with a carbon atom at each corner of the cube, making it tetrahedral in shape according to VESPR theory. Assuming an ideal cubic shape, the bond angles around each carbon would be 90 degrees. This suggests that the molecule is highly unstable due to the bent bonds and its large size.
Roxy
Cubane is a hydrocarbon with the formula, C8H8. It has a cubic shape,
as its name implies, with a carbon atom at each corner of the cube. This molecule
is very unstable and some researchers have been seriously injured when crystals
of the compound exploded while being scooped out of a bottle. Not surprisingly,
it has some uses as an explosive.
(a) According to VESPR theory, what should be the shape around each carbon
atom? Why?
(b) If we assume a ideal cubic shape, what would be the bond angles around the carbon?
(c) Explain how your answer to (a) and (b) suggest why this molecule is so unstable.

I don't know what the shape would be for 8 carbon, I only know up to 2 carbons.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can u make a drawing...?That is,can u picture the bonds (how they would be ideally)...?What hybridization type does this structure correspond to...?

Daniel.

a) Try to come up with the structure of this molecule. Determine to how many other atoms each carbon atom binds, and from that, infer what the geometry should be according to the Vespr model.

b) This is extremely simple to answer. You assume an ideal cubic shape: what are the angles between the edges of a cube? .

Roxy said:
It has a cubic shape, as its name implies, with a carbon atom at each corner of the cube.
(a) According to VESPR theory, what should be the shape around each carbon
atom? Why?
(b) If we assume a ideal cubic shape, what would be the bond angles around the carbon?
(c) Explain how your answer to (a) and (b) suggest why this molecule is so unstable.

a.
Try to visualize this thing. You have a cube; that's basically just 2 squares with space betweem them. Each carbon is bound to another carbon on each axis, so that leaves 1 hydrogen per carbon. That would give you the C8H8 formula you are looking for, so just assume it's the correct structure and that each carbon is [itex]sp^3[/itex] hybridized. What's the shape of [itex]sp^3[/itex]? Tetrahedral if I'm not mistaken.

b.
If it's like any cube I've seen, the angles between the carbon bonds would be 90 degrees. As for the angle between the carbon bonds and the hydrogen bonds, I don't really know what that would be; my background in math is sketchy at best. I think I'll start a math thread asking that question.

c.
It will be unstable because the bonds are really bent out of shape. A tetrahedron should have 109.5 degrees between the bonds. This thing likely has 90 degrees between the bonds. You can only pull on something so hard before it snaps.

Related to What should be the shape around each carbon atom?

1. What is the shape of a carbon atom?

The shape of a carbon atom is typically described as a spherical or roughly spherical shape. This is because the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus of a carbon atom is evenly distributed, creating a symmetrical shape.

2. Why is the shape of a carbon atom important?

The shape of a carbon atom is important because it determines how the atom will interact with other atoms and molecules. The shape of a carbon atom affects its chemical and physical properties, such as its reactivity and ability to form bonds.

3. How does the shape of a carbon atom affect its bonding ability?

The shape of a carbon atom is crucial in determining its bonding ability. Carbon atoms have four valence electrons, which allows them to form up to four covalent bonds with other atoms. The spherical shape of a carbon atom allows it to form bonds in multiple directions, making it a versatile element in creating complex molecules.

4. Can the shape of a carbon atom change?

The shape of a carbon atom can change depending on its bonding partners. For example, when carbon forms double or triple bonds with other atoms, the shape of the atom becomes distorted. Additionally, the hybridization of carbon atoms can also affect their shape.

5. How does the shape of a carbon atom influence the properties of different carbon compounds?

The shape of a carbon atom greatly influences the properties of different carbon compounds. Different shapes can result in different bond angles and molecular geometries, leading to variations in physical and chemical properties. For example, the shape of a carbon atom in a diamond is different from the shape in graphite, resulting in the distinct properties of these two forms of carbon.