What should be on the x and y axis of this graph?

• Thread starter w3tw1lly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses plotting a graph of acceleration as a function of net force for trials with constant mass. The graph indicates a linear relationship between acceleration and net force, as shown by the line of best fit. The experiment involves a cart with weights attached to a string, which use the force of gravity to pull the cart forward. The chart includes values for applied force, friction force, mass, and acceleration. The calculation for friction force is shown, as well as determining the net force to mass ratio. The resulting graph shows a slope of 0.43 N/kg, indicating that for every 1 kg of mass, there is an acceleration of 0.43 m/s^2.
w3tw1lly
The question is:

Plot a graph of the acceleration (vertical axis) as a function of the net force for the trials in which the mass remained constant. Draw a line of best fit and calculate its slope. What does the graph indicate about the relationship betweena cceleration and net force?

What should be on my x and what should be on my y axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
acceleration (vertical axis)---y
net force for the trials---x

How do I figure out net force?
The experiment is a cart with weights with a string attatched to it, the string dangles over a pulley that is attatched to a flat desk and the weights on the end of the string use the force of gravity to pull the cart forward until the weight on the end of the string touches the floor.http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6541/untitledab4.jpg
That is what the experiment looks like, and this is what my chart looks like:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7705/adadwr0.jpg
Note, total mass factors in the weights on the string too.So far I have done:

THIS IS FOR THE FIRST ROW
Fa = applied force
Ff = friction force
m = mass (kg)
a = acceleration (m/s^2)Fa + Ff = ma
Ff = ma - Fa
Ff = (.557)*(.43) - .39
Ff = -0.15049

Fnet = Ff + Fa
Fnet = 0.23951Is this correct?
Also how do you figure out Net force to mass? I did this for the first row netforce/kg one.
Fnet = ma
Fnet = .557*.43
Fnet = .23951

So the mass of the first one is .557.
Newtons/kg
.23951/.557
.43 N/kg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What should be on the x and y axis of this graph?

1. What do the x and y axis represent on this graph?

The x and y axis on a graph represent the two variables being measured in a scientific experiment or study. The x axis is typically used to represent the independent variable, while the y axis represents the dependent variable. The independent variable is the factor that is being tested or manipulated, while the dependent variable is the outcome or result of the experiment.

2. How do I determine the scale for the x and y axis?

The scale for the x and y axis should be determined based on the range of values for each variable. The scale should be evenly spaced and clearly labeled to accurately represent the data being presented. It is important to choose a scale that allows for all data points to be clearly visible on the graph.

3. Can I switch the variables on the x and y axis?

In most cases, the independent variable should be plotted on the x axis and the dependent variable on the y axis. However, in some cases, it may be appropriate to switch the variables based on the specific data and research question being addressed. It is important to clearly label the axes and explain any changes in variables to avoid confusion.

4. How do I choose the appropriate type of graph for my data?

The type of graph used should be based on the type of data being presented and the research question being addressed. For example, a line graph is used to show trends or changes over time, while a bar graph is used to compare different categories or groups. It is important to choose a graph that effectively displays the data and makes it easy for the reader to interpret the results.

5. Are there any guidelines for labeling the x and y axis?

There are a few guidelines to keep in mind when labeling the x and y axis of a graph. The labels should be clear and concise, using units of measurement when applicable. The axes should also be labeled with the appropriate variable and any significant data points should be clearly marked. Additionally, the axes should be labeled with a title that accurately reflects the purpose of the graph.