What role does physics play in materials science?

In summary, to work in the field of materials science, one must have a strong understanding of solid state physics, quantum mechanics, statistical physics, and electromagnetism. Knowledge of thermodynamics, elasticity, continuum mechanics, and electrochemistry may also be necessary depending on the specific area of materials science being studied.
assed
Hello.
I would like to hear of somebody with experience in the area of materials science (theoretical/computational or experimental) the answer to the following question: What kind of Physics knowledge one must have to work in this area. I mean, how much of the basic Physics stuff you must know and how do you use it in your work. I have been asking myself this because to me it looks like none of the advanced stuff (like quantum mechanics, advanced electromagnetism, statistical physics, solid state, etc) is really used in the area and what trully matters is knowing the things only related to materials characteristics, things that I think are more common that a chemist would know. Since I don't know anyone who works in the field, I asked here.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
assed said:
Hello.
I would like to hear of somebody with experience in the area of materials science (theoretical/computational or experimental) the answer to the following question: What kind of Physics knowledge one must have to work in this area. I mean, how much of the basic Physics stuff you must know and how do you use it in your work. I have been asking myself this because to me it looks like none of the advanced stuff (like quantum mechanics, advanced electromagnetism, statistical physics, solid state, etc) is really used in the area and what trully matters is knowing the things only related to materials characteristics, things that I think are more common that a chemist would know. Since I don't know anyone who works in the field, I asked here.
Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you open a solid state textbook, such as the one by Kittel or Ashcroft/Mermin. After you get through the free-electron/Drude model, practically everything else is the application of quantum mechanics! Just look at the Bloch wavefunction for starters.

Zz.

Solid state physics is the theoretical basis for materials science. For computational materials science you might want to look into techniques like density functional theory.

Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are needed whenever you study materials that undergo phase transitions, or high temperatures/pressures are important
Elasticity theory and continuum mechanics are needed when studying the impact of defects on the mechanical properties.

Electromagnetics is necessary for those work in ferroelectric and magentic materials.

As mentioned above solid state physics/ Density functional theory are needed whenever you study crystalline solids.

If you plan to study water/semiconductor or water/metal interfaces then a bit of electrochemistry and liquid state physics are needed.

If you study amorphous metal oxides then you may need all the above :biggrin:

As a scientist with experience in materials science, I can tell you that a strong understanding of physics is essential in this field. While it is true that some of the more advanced topics in physics may not be directly applicable, a solid foundation in the basics is crucial for understanding the behavior and properties of materials.

For example, knowledge of classical mechanics is important for understanding the structural and mechanical properties of materials. Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are also essential for understanding how materials behave at different temperatures and under different conditions. Electromagnetism is crucial for understanding the electrical and magnetic properties of materials, and quantum mechanics is becoming increasingly important in the study of nanoscale materials.

In addition, a deep understanding of the principles of physics allows materials scientists to design and manipulate materials at the atomic and molecular level. This is critical for developing new materials with tailored properties for specific applications.

In summary, while it may seem that only basic physics knowledge is needed in materials science, a deeper understanding of advanced topics is also important for pushing the boundaries of material design and development. As a materials scientist, I use my knowledge of physics every day to better understand and manipulate materials for various applications. I hope this helps answer your question and provides some insight into the role of physics in materials science.

Related to What role does physics play in materials science?

What is materials science?

Materials science is a field that combines elements of physics, chemistry, and engineering to study the properties and behavior of materials. It involves understanding the structure, composition, and processing of materials to design and create new materials with specific properties for various applications.

What is the role of physics in materials science?

Physics plays a crucial role in materials science as it helps us understand the fundamental properties and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level. It provides a theoretical framework for predicting and explaining the physical properties of materials, such as conductivity, strength, and elasticity, which are essential for designing and developing new materials for various applications.

How does materials science impact our daily lives?

Materials science has a significant impact on our daily lives as it is involved in the development of many products and technologies we use. From the clothes we wear to the devices we use, materials science has played a crucial role in improving their functionality, durability, and sustainability. It has also led to the discovery of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors, that have revolutionized various industries, including electronics, healthcare, and transportation.

What are some current research areas in physics and materials science?

Some current research areas in physics and materials science include nanotechnology, renewable energy, biomaterials, and advanced manufacturing. These fields aim to develop new materials with unique properties, such as increased strength, flexibility, and conductivity, that can be used to improve existing technologies and create new ones. These research areas also focus on creating sustainable and environmentally friendly materials and processes.

How can I pursue a career in physics and materials science?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in physics and materials science, you can start by studying physics, chemistry, and mathematics in high school. Then, you can pursue a bachelor's degree in materials science or a related field, such as engineering or chemistry. After that, you can pursue a graduate degree in a specific area of materials science, such as nanotechnology or biomaterials, and gain hands-on research experience through internships or research projects. Many universities and research institutions also offer opportunities for postdoctoral research and academic positions in this field.