What Reverse Potential Difference is Required to Stop a Current in a Photoelectric Cell with a Caesium Surface?

In summary: When you subtract the work function from the energy for an incoming photon, you get the energy of the emitted electron, in electron volts. This difference, then is exactly the energy that you need to decelerate the electron to rest; since you have a single electron, the choice of units is convenient! 1.76 volts is the potential difference that can stop an electron with energy 1.76 eV.To this end, your work is correct, but you need to be careful with the formula in the third step. A volt is a joule per coulomb. If you want to use that formula, you need to
nathan17

Homework Statement

The work function of caesium is 1.35eV. A photoelectric cell has a caesium surface and is illuminated with monochromatic light of wavelength 400nm. What reverse potential difference must be applied to the tube to just stop a current passing through it?

Homework Equations

Kmax = Vs * e
E = hf = hc / λ

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 400nm = 4.00x10-7
E = hf = hc / λ
= 6.63x10-34 * 3x108 / 4.00x10-7
= 4.97x10-19J
= 4.97x10-19 / 1.6x10-19
= 3.11 eV

Kmax = E - W
= 3.11 - 1.35
= 1.76

Kmax = Vs * e
Divide both sides by e
Vs = K / e
= 1.76 / 1.6x10-19
= 1.1x1019

Other Information

Now, the answer in the back of the book is :
Vs = 1.76 V

I got that in the second step, but I'm not sure if I worked it out correctly. Can someone go over this and check it out for me.

Cheers,
Nathan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nathan17 said:

Homework Statement

The work function of caesium is 1.35eV. A photoelectric cell has a caesium surface and is illuminated with monochromatic light of wavelength 400nm. What reverse potential difference must be applied to the tube to just stop a current passing through it?

Homework Equations

Kmax = Vs * e
E = hf = hc / λ

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 400nm = 4.00x10-7
E = hf = hc / λ
= 6.63x10-34 * 3x108 / 4.00x10-7
= 4.97x10-19J
= 4.97x10-19 / 1.6x10-19
= 3.11 eV

Kmax = E - W
= 3.11 - 1.35
= 1.76

Kmax = Vs * e
Divide both sides by e
Vs = K / e
= 1.76 / 1.6x10-19
= 1.1x1019

Other Information

Now, the answer in the back of the book is :
Vs = 1.76 V

I got that in the second step, but I'm not sure if I worked it out correctly. Can someone go over this and check it out for me.

Cheers,
Nathan

No, that's not quite what you got in the second step; you got the numerical value but it was a different quantity. In the second step, you found the maximum kinetic energy was 1.76 eV. Now the reason that electron volts is such a useful unit is exactly because of what you observed. If an electron (or anything with charge e) goes through a potential difference of 1 V, its energy changes by 1 eV.

In your third step, if you want to divide by [itex]e=1.6\times 10^{-19}[/itex] coulombs, you have to first convert the energy to joules. But to convert from eV to J, you have to multiply by [itex]1.6\times 10^{-19}[/itex], and so you end up with the same number as what you had in step 2.

alphysicist said:
No, that's not quite what you got in the second step; you got the numerical value but it was a different quantity. In the second step, you found the maximum kinetic energy was 1.76 eV. Now the reason that electron volts is such a useful unit is exactly because of what you observed. If an electron (or anything with charge e) goes through a potential difference of 1 V, its energy changes by 1 eV.

In your third step, if you want to divide by [itex]e=1.6\times 10^{-19}[/itex] coulombs, you have to first convert the energy to joules. But to convert from eV to J, you have to multiply by [itex]1.6\times 10^{-19}[/itex], and so you end up with the same number as what you had in step 2.

Oh. Heh, thanks. so it should be:

K = 1.76 * 1.6x10-19
= 2.8x10-19

So,
Vs = K / e
= 2.8x10-19 / 1.6x10-19
= 1.76 V

Cheers for the help,
really appreciate it!

Nathan

Last edited:
Think of the physics of the situation:

An electron volt is the amount of energy that an electron receives when accelerated by a potential of 1 volt. When you subtract the work function from the energy for an incoming photon, you get the energy of the emitted electron, in electron volts. This difference, then is exactly the energy that you need to decelerate the electron to rest; since you have a single electron, the choice of units is convenient! 1.76 volts is the potential difference that can stop an electron with energy 1.76 eV.

To this end, your work is correct, but you need to be careful with the formula in the third step. A volt is a joule per coulomb. If you want to use that formula, you need to put the electron energy in joules first.

Or, what alphysicist said.

That'll teach me to get a snack while writing a post!

will.c said:
Think of the physics of the situation:

An electron volt is the amount of energy that an electron receives when accelerated by a potential of 1 volt. When you subtract the work function from the energy for an incoming photon, you get the energy of the emitted electron, in electron volts. This difference, then is exactly the energy that you need to decelerate the electron to rest; since you have a single electron, the choice of units is convenient! 1.76 volts is the potential difference that can stop an electron with energy 1.76 eV.

To this end, your work is correct, but you need to be careful with the formula in the third step. A volt is a joule per coulomb. If you want to use that formula, you need to put the electron energy in joules first.

Hmm, thanks for the explanation guys!

Yeah, it's the things like that, that I really need to be careful of when working these out when it comes exam time.

Related to What Reverse Potential Difference is Required to Stop a Current in a Photoelectric Cell with a Caesium Surface?

What is Reverse Potential Difference?

Reverse Potential Difference, also known as reverse voltage or reverse bias, is the voltage applied to a circuit in the opposite direction of its normal operation. This can cause the current to flow in the opposite direction and can have various effects on the components of the circuit.

What causes Reverse Potential Difference?

Reverse Potential Difference occurs when a voltage is applied in the opposite direction to the normal flow of current. This can be intentional, such as in certain electronic components, or unintentional, such as in a circuit malfunction.

What are the effects of Reverse Potential Difference?

The effects of Reverse Potential Difference can vary depending on the circuit and components involved. In some cases, it can cause the circuit to malfunction or even damage the components. In other cases, it can be used intentionally to control the behavior of the circuit.

How is Reverse Potential Difference measured?

The Reverse Potential Difference is measured in volts, just like regular potential difference. It can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit in question.

How can Reverse Potential Difference be prevented?

In some cases, Reverse Potential Difference can be prevented by using diodes or other components that only allow current to flow in one direction. In other cases, proper circuit design and careful testing can help identify and prevent potential issues with Reverse Potential Difference.