What pulling force does my PTO winch actually have

In summary: There is not a specific product or technique that one can use to ensure the draw rope does not break. Instead, one can use a weak link to prevent the draw rope from breaking.
Smith_
I am an electrician pulling underground power cables through concrete ducts.

We have had issues using a rope tugger and 7/8 double braided rope as seen here

It keeps getting stuck before certain bends in the duct towards the end when the rope is at its tightest and is pulling the most weight. The friction between the rope and duct must be amazing.

I believe it has to do with how the rope stretches under tension and the number of bends in the run. This wasnt a well engineered job and we are only a sub trade. So we have no choice but to try all angles.

We are about to bring out a truck with PTO and 30 tonne winch. I believe this will offer us the advantage of slow smooth power and almost no stretch in the line. This should in theory reduce the chances of the nose getting stuck (http://s4d8b89f6c462f.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4d8b89f6c462f/HDD_Drilling_Parts/HDD_Swivels_and_Pullies/multiple-pulling-harnesses-collage.jpg

I am trying to calculate what the winch will output in terms of pulling force at a given rpm. (say idle to start)
This would allow me to know when I am applying to much power, see with a rope and tugger you can tell when something is wrong. Tension will slowly build and will show on the unit. It has a gauge. The truck just pulls like a ox and could really do some damage if we don't have some means of knowing what its putting out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :)

the torque - pulling power of a winch ( if its a commercial one) should be readily available from the manufacturer

to work it out otherwise, you would need to know hp rating of the motor, gearing ratios etc

Dave

Can you buy or make a weak link (as used when winching a Glider) to ensure you don't break the draw rope?

I've never had to pull something that big through a duct but I usually wrap the transition between the draw rope and the cable with tape to produce a tapered transition between the two. Is there something like that that you put over the "nose" assembly?

Related to What pulling force does my PTO winch actually have

1. What is a PTO winch?

A PTO (Power Take-Off) winch is a mechanical device that is used to transfer power from a vehicle's engine to operate an attached winch for pulling or lifting heavy loads.

2. How is the pulling force of a PTO winch measured?

The pulling force of a PTO winch is measured in pounds or kilograms, and it is the maximum amount of weight that the winch can pull or lift using its power source.

3. What factors affect the pulling force of a PTO winch?

The pulling force of a PTO winch is affected by several factors, including the power and torque of the vehicle's engine, the gearing ratio of the winch, and the strength and quality of the winch's cable or rope.

4. How do I determine the pulling force of my PTO winch?

To determine the pulling force of your PTO winch, you can refer to the manufacturer's specifications or consult a professional mechanic. You can also perform a simple test by gradually increasing the weight of the load until the winch reaches its maximum pulling capacity.

5. Can the pulling force of a PTO winch be increased?

Yes, the pulling force of a PTO winch can be increased by upgrading the vehicle's engine or installing a stronger winch with a higher gearing ratio and a more robust cable or rope. However, it is important to note that the pulling force should never exceed the vehicle's towing capacity to avoid causing damage or accidents.