What pressure would be needed to cause fusion of water?

In summary, this water bomb is theoretically capable of creating a nuclear explosion. However, the pressure and energy needed to create this explosion are immense, and it's unlikely that anything like this would occur in reality.
prodigylock
TL;DR Summary
Theoretically, what pressure would water need to be subjected to force the oxygen and hydrogen to fuse into heavier elements and how much energy would it release.
So in a DnD story, someone made a bomb by putting 3375ft^3 of water into a 0.5ft radius sphere and caused it to make a nuke. I was thinking if this was possible then what would actually happen, so I spent an afternoon looking for the answer and only got the pressure and density.
6445773,7307163375188090110591252 kg/m^3
186976087900000000000000000 PSI
Would the pressure result in the hydrogen and or oxygen fusing and if so how much energy would all of it make if this indestructible sphere disappeared at one point.

Physics news on Phys.org
prodigylock said:
Summary:: Theoretically, what pressure would water need to be subjected to force the oxygen and hydrogen to fuse into heavier elements and how much energy would it release.

So in a DnD story, someone made a bomb by putting 3375ft^3 of water into a 0.5ft radius sphere and caused it to make a nuke. I was thinking if this was possible then what would actually happen, so I spent an afternoon looking for the answer and only got the pressure and density.
6445773,7307163375188090110591252 kg/m^3
186976087900000000000000000 PSI
Would the pressure result in the hydrogen and or oxygen fusing and if so how much energy would all of it make if this indestructible sphere disappeared at one point.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

This is where you need to start -- it's not just pressure that is involved in starting a fusion reaction...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawson_criterion

Good heavens. If Sister Mary Albert saw you write something with that ridiculous precision, she'd rap your knuckles with her ruler.

Have you established that this reaction is even exothermic?

• Haha
Likes Filip Larsen, prodigylock, russ_watters and 2 others
prodigylock said:
So in a DnD story, someone made a bomb by putting 3375ft^3 of water into a 0.5ft radius sphere and caused it to make a nuke.
How could you possibly compress water by that much?

The container would expand as molecular bonds stretched, resulting in rupture of the containment.

If you calculate the energy needed to compress the water, you will find that it needs as much energy as is released by a nuclear bomb.

I forgot to mention but this theoretical container is indestructible.

As I couldn't find a source on a Liquid adiabatic process I couldn't calculate if the compression would generate enough heat to make plasma and cause the sphere to become ignited.

It should not be exothermic since the only way would be with beta decay but that would take too long on this scale to sustain the reaction but I'm not that good with this(hence the reason I asked here) so that's what I wanted to find out what would happen.

Well if it's not exothermic, where does the energy come from for the kaboom?

• Haha
Likes prodigylock and berkeman
The energy for the kaboom came from quick math and assumptions and that's why I wanted to explore the idea further. As far as I have read the oxygen from the water might be able to fuse into si-28 and an alpha particle. Later through the Triple-Alpha process, it would make 2 gamma rays and some carbon-12. So that would produce some energy and one of these might fuse with the protium but I'm not too sure about that.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well if it's not exothermic, where does the energy come from for the kaboom?
You don´ t need any energy. Well, zero point energy.
Even at zero pressure, a water molecule in vacuum, you will have small but nonzero rate of tunnelling, mostly for the two simple reactions:
p+p=d+e+e
p+p+e-=d+νe
Note that p-p fusion has the lowest Coulomb barrier. Whether it takes place due to pure zero point energy (pure pycnonuclear fusion), with appreciable contribution of heat or mainly as thermonuclear fusion, it is preferred.
Of course, as either the pressure/zero point energy or temperature is increased, higher Coulomb barrier reactions will contribute:
p+16O=17F+γ
16O+16O=32S+γ
16O+16O=28Si+α
16O+16O=31P+p
et cetera
Therefore, seal water in a pressure vessel and since heat generated by pycnonuclear fusion cannot escape, it slowly heats up to thermonuclear.
The original premise is water compressed to density of about 6400 kg/l, making about 700 kg/l of protium. At that density and no temperature, what is the lifetime of protium to pycnonuclear fusion?

Last edited:
The container is a massive bomb without any fusion already. Just release the interior which is under some ridiculous pressure and it will explode violently. At this density you can forget molecular bonds or even atoms. The electron degeneracy pressure will be ~1018 Pa, giving that bomb an energy of the order of 1016 J or a few megatons of TNT equivalent.

Any plausible mechanism to compress the material will probably heat it up a lot, too. You end up with a pressure and density way higher than in the core of the Sun. Might be enough for a lot of hydrogen fusion, followed by more fusion reactions later.

Related to What pressure would be needed to cause fusion of water?

1. What is water fusion and why is it important?

Water fusion is the process of combining hydrogen atoms to form helium, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. It is important because it is the main source of energy in stars and has potential as a clean and sustainable energy source on Earth.

2. What pressure is needed to cause fusion of water?

The pressure needed to cause fusion of water is extremely high, at least 100 million times greater than the atmospheric pressure on Earth. This is because the hydrogen atoms must overcome their natural repulsion to fuse together.

3. Can water fusion occur naturally on Earth?

No, water fusion does not occur naturally on Earth because the conditions needed for fusion, such as extremely high pressure and temperature, are not present on our planet. It only occurs in the core of stars, where these conditions are met.

4. How is water fusion achieved in nuclear reactors?

In nuclear reactors, water fusion is achieved by using a controlled nuclear chain reaction to generate high temperatures and pressures, similar to those in the core of a star. This allows the fusion of hydrogen atoms to produce energy, which is then used to generate electricity.

5. Is it possible to create fusion of water in a laboratory setting?

Yes, it is possible to create fusion of water in a laboratory setting, but it requires extremely advanced technology and is currently not feasible on a large scale. Scientists are working on developing fusion reactors that can sustain a controlled fusion reaction, but it is still a long way from being a viable energy source.