What preliminary knowledge of QM should I know before learning QFT

In summary, it's best to have a very thorough knowledge of QM before attempting a study of QFT, otherwise you will find QFT books incomprehensible. If you just can't wait, I suggest reading Feynman's popular book on QED, or Zee's QFT textbook after you learn a bit of QM.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
What preliminary knowledge of QM should I know before learning QFT, or should I learn QFT in parallel with me learning QM?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's best to have a very thorough knowledge of QM before attempting a study of QFT, otherwise you will find QFT books incomprehensible. If you just can't wait, I suggest reading Feynman's popular book on QED, or Zee's QFT textbook after you learn a bit of QM.

Last edited:
Weinberg's QTF

MathematicalPhysicist said:
What preliminary knowledge of QM should I know before learning QFT, or should I learn QFT in parallel with me learning QM?

Hi MathematicalPhysicist! :smile:

Read the preface to Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume I, before you decide :wink:http://books.google.com/books?id=h9...nother book on quantum field theory"&f=false!

You should at least know the stuff in Isham's book. In my opinion, it's not enough to have a working knowledge of "wave mechanics", i.e. wave functions, the Schrödinger equation and that kind of stuff.

Well, thus far I went through QM theory 1 in my univ, what I have come about I guess most of QM vol 1 by Cohen-Tannoudji (I mean from class most of the time, it's pretty tiresome to read from this volume), and this coming fall semester I will be learning QM 2 theory, still undergraduate, I am planning to learn as well some graduate maths courses this fall (which starts in october here), any advice which topics in Cohen-Tanoudji to read in volume 2?

Have I said already that it's pretty tiring to go through Cohen-Tannoudji, and from computer screen?! (-:

A good QM book that gets you ready (that's its aim) for QFT, is Sakurai (modern QM). You'll recognize stuff from Cohen-Tannoudji, but it is more condensed, and gives sometimes more insight (but much less broad).

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, a typical order might be QM, relativistic QM, and then QFT. But obviously you don't need everything from QM for QFT, just as you don't need everything from relativistic QM for QFT. For example you don't need to solve the hydrogen atom in QM to do QFT, or any detailed scattering calculations in QM for that matter.

I'd just dive into QFT with an easier book like Mandl and Shaw, just to get you going, keeping in mind that later on you'll read a proper book on QFT which will show you how undetailed the easier book was.

I actually thought Zee's book was for people who already knew a bit of QFT. I can't imagine reading that without having done a bit of QFT. That derivation of the Weinberg-Coleman potential in the chapter on effective potentials, without using Feynman diagrams (!), seem to me a bit advanced.

O and I imagine a bit of knowledge of classical field theory, some CFT - lagrangians and stuff - would help in QFT.

Related to What preliminary knowledge of QM should I know before learning QFT

1. What is QM and QFT?

QM stands for Quantum Mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields.

2. Do I need to know QM before learning QFT?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics before delving into quantum field theory. QFT builds upon the concepts and principles of QM and requires a strong foundation in the subject to fully grasp its complexities.

3. What are the key concepts of QM that I should know before learning QFT?

Some key concepts of QM that are important to understand before learning QFT include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and quantization. It is also helpful to have knowledge of operators, eigenvalues, and wave functions.

4. Is there a specific mathematical background required for learning QFT?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is essential for understanding QFT. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Knowledge of group theory and special relativity is also beneficial.

5. Can I learn QFT without any prior knowledge of physics?

No, it is not possible to learn QFT without any prior knowledge of physics. QFT is a highly advanced and complex field that requires a strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is recommended to have a thorough understanding of these subjects before attempting to learn QFT.