What potential difference is required to bring the proton to rest?

In summary, to reduce the proton's initial speed by a factor of 4, a potential difference of 9.8 volts is required.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

A proton has an initial speed of 4.9 105 m/s.
(a) What potential difference is required to bring the proton to rest?

(b) What potential difference is required to reduce the initial speed of the proton by a factor of 4?

(c) What potential difference is required to reduce the initial kinetic energy of the proton by a factor of 4?

Homework Equations

ΔK = -qV
Δk = mv^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a.)

Δk = (kf - Ki). Kf is 0 because your stopping it

[m(v_i)^2 ]/2q = V
I just pop in my values. Look OK?

For part b I'm unsure.

I said V_i = V/4 So I get

[m((v_i/4))^2 ]/2q = V I'm unsure.
The last one I would just take the answer from a and divide by 4.

Thanks,
I;m worried about b.

Physics news on Phys.org
in part b you need to reduce the k.e. by 3/4, not just 1/4. Solve for the new v.
part c is solved by part b.

rude man said:
in part b you need to reduce the k.e. by 3/4, not just 1/4. Solve for the new v.
part c is solved by part b.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I understand you though. Why am I reducing it by (3/4)?
And why would I solve for the new V? I want the potential difference.

Jbreezy said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I understand you though. Why am I reducing it by (3/4)?

Because that's what the problem asked. "To reduce by a factor of four" means to go from 1 to 1/4.
And why would I solve for the new V? I want the potential difference.
[/quote]

Right you are. My bad. But again, the reduction is by 3/4 of the initial speed, not 1/4.

rude man said:
Because that's what the problem asked. "To reduce by a factor of four" means to go from 1 to 1/4.

Right you are. My bad. But again, the reduction is by 3/4 of the initial speed, not 1/4.[/QUOTE]

Its Ok. Keeps me thinking. Can you please explain to me why you reduce by 3/4? I feel confused because first you say

"To reduce by a factor of four" means to go from 1 to 1/4.
Which is what I thought so I reduced the velocity in part b by 1/4. Vi = v/4. But your saying 3/4? I'm not following you.

Wait are you saying this;
You want the change in velocity to be (1/4) of what it was. So

Can you say (1/2)m(Δv)^2 = qV
so, (1/2)m(Vf - (1/4)Vi)^2 = qV which is (1/2)m((3/4)V)^2 = qV ?If that is the case I don't get it . Might not be though.
Thanks

The general formula is 1/2 mvf2 = 1/2 mvi2 - qV. q and V are considered positive.

For part b, vf = vi/4
For part c, 1/2 mvf2 = (1/2 mvi2 )/4.

The rest is just algebra.

Last edited:
Jbreezy said:
Right you are. My bad. But again, the reduction is by 3/4 of the initial speed, not 1/4.
That's what rude man meant - reduce by 3/4 of the initial speed.
Reducing x by a factor of n means the new value is x/n. The change is (x-x/n) = x(1-1/n).

So I'm right. It means divide but

haruspex said:
That's what rude man meant - reduce by 3/4 of the initial speed.
Reducing x by a factor of n means the new value is x/n. The change is (x-x/n) = x(1-1/n).

The change is what part is confusing me. Why do you want the change and not simply x/n ?
Thank you.

Jbreezy said:
So I'm right. It means divide but

The change is what part is confusing me. Why do you want the change and not simply x/n ?
Thank you.

Because V is what's needed to reduce (change) the speed (part b) or k.e. (part c). The reduction is 3/4 of the original speed or k.e.

Actually it ended up being V/4 not (2/4)V like you guys had suggested. I think that this was a poorly written question. I asked my tutor and he agreed with you guys but we tried the answer and it was wrong. I'm going to say this question is poor. Thanks for the help

Related to What potential difference is required to bring the proton to rest?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How does potential difference affect a proton?

Potential difference is responsible for the movement of charged particles, such as protons, in an electric field. A higher potential difference will result in a stronger force on the proton, causing it to accelerate or decelerate depending on its charge and direction of movement.

3. What is the SI unit for potential difference?

The SI unit for potential difference is the volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

4. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being tested. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential between two points and displays the value in volts (V).

5. What potential difference is required to bring the proton to rest?

The potential difference required to bring a proton to rest depends on its initial velocity, mass, and charge. It can be calculated using the equation V = (m/q) * v, where V is the potential difference, m is the mass of the proton, q is its charge, and v is its initial velocity. As the proton comes to rest, the potential difference will decrease to 0.