What Potential Difference Causes a Charged Sphere to Tilt 30 Degrees?

You can solve for the force using the information given in the problem (mass, charge, distance, angle). Once you have the force, you can figure out the electric field needed, and then the potential difference. In summary, a small sphere with mass .015kg and charge q = 8.9 x 10^-6 C hangs by a thread between two parallel vertical plates with uniform surface charge densities +σ and -σ. The potential difference between the plates will cause the thread to assume an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical. To solve for this, the electric force on the sphere must be calculated using statics. The equation F = qE + gravitational force can be used, along with the information given in
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A small sphere with mass .015kg hangs by a thread between two parallel vertical plates .05m apart. The plates are insulating and have a uniform surface charge densities +σ and -σ. The charge on the sphere is q = 8.9 x 10^-6 C. What potential difference between the plates will cause the thread to assume an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical?

Homework Equations

some formulas in the chapter and on a previous chapter. I am not sure which ones are useful:
dV = -Edl
Ua - Ub = q(Va - Vb)
Kb = Ka + Ua - Ub
Kb = .5mv^2
Va - Vb = Ed
F = qE
p = qd
Torque = pEsinθ
Torque = p X E

The Attempt at a Solution

I am clueless. the only thing i know is Ka = 0 because it started at rest. that means Kb/q = Va - Vb
but then again the velocity at Kb would = 0 wouldn't it? so I don't know. do I find the F by figuring out E somehow? or does it have something to do with Torque? i don't know how to find p (electric dipole moment). so yea I am lost, any help would be appreciated

I think it has something to do with the gravity pulling down then the E pulling/pushing to the side.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of this as a statics problem, where one of the forces is the electric force. What forces act on the sphere? What is the net force?

Doc Al said:
Think of this as a statics problem, where one of the forces is the electric force. What forces act on the sphere? What is the net force?

ok so does that mean F = qE is pushing to the side and gravity pushing down?

edit: o wait. Va - Vb = Ed.

the equation of E i believe is this: E = qσ/2πε(.025^2)
we have all that accept σ. d is just .025m (correct me if I am wrong on any of this).

then i guess you use F = qE + gravitational force and set the angle to 30 degrees, then solve for σ. then plug that into Ed to get the answer of Va - Vb right?

somethign isn't right, I am not coming out with the right answer :(

Last edited:
ok how can i find net force? and is E = qσ/2πε(.025^2) the correct equation for E?

i did E = qσ/4πε(.025^2) + qσ/4πε(.025^2) = qσ/2πε(.025^2)

jaredmt said:
ok so does that mean F = qE is pushing to the side and gravity pushing down?
Yes. Don't forget the string tension.

edit: o wait. Va - Vb = Ed.
You'll need that.

the equation of E i believe is this: E = qσ/2πε(.025^2)
we have all that accept σ. d is just .025m (correct me if I am wrong on any of this).
You won't need that to answer the question.

then i guess you use F = qE + gravitational force and set the angle to 30 degrees, then solve for σ. then plug that into Ed to get the answer of Va - Vb right?
The first thing to do is to solve for the electric force on the sphere, using statics. Once you have the force, you can figure out the field needed and then the potential difference.

jaredmt said:
ok how can i find net force? and is E = qσ/2πε(.025^2) the correct equation for E?

i did E = qσ/4πε(.025^2) + qσ/4πε(.025^2) = qσ/2πε(.025^2)
You don't need any equation that contains σ.

Related to What Potential Difference Causes a Charged Sphere to Tilt 30 Degrees?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference related to current?

According to Ohm's law, the potential difference across a conductor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it, as long as the temperature and other physical properties remain constant. This relationship is expressed as V = IR, where V is potential difference, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the electric potential energy decreases as the charge moves from one point to another. In other words, the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the charge's motion.

4. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the voltage drop between two points. It is important to note that the voltmeter should have a high resistance, so that it does not affect the potential difference being measured.

5. What role do angles play in potential difference?

Angles play a role in potential difference when considering the direction of the electric field and the motion of the charge. The potential difference between two points is dependent on the angle at which the charge moves between those points. A charge moving parallel to the electric field experiences no change in potential energy, while a charge moving perpendicular to the electric field experiences the maximum change in potential energy.