Paradoxes: Causes & Theory Explained

• Thread starter jay
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of paradoxes can be described as a contradictory statement that may still hold some truth, an assertion that contradicts received opinions, or a statement that is self-contradictory based on valid premises. In science, paradoxes can indicate a lack of understanding or flaws in the theory or its application. Similarly, logical paradoxes highlight the limitations of language and the possibility of asking unanswerable questions. Anomalies in mathematical formulas can also be considered as theoretical paradoxes. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to interpret and make sense of paradoxes in their own way.
jay
Hai
What makes paradoxes,Are they due to any errors in the theory behind them ?

jay.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best one can give you is the meaning from the dictionary

1- A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.

2- One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: “The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears” (Mary Shelley).

3- An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.

4- A statement contrary to received opinion.

You should be able to figure it out from there.

Usually, in science, a paradox indicates that we don't understand something. So, depending on what paradox you're talking about, it could mean any of the things you suggest: the theory could be incomplete (not necessarily wrong, just not yet finished), or the application of the theory is flawed (this is more common), or we simply just don't know what's going on.

The "Twin Paradox" is only a paradox for those who don't correctly understand Special Relativity, for example. THere is no problem with the theory, and the paradox is resolved when you learn more about the theory.

Pure logical paradoxes indicate conditions inherent in language. FOr example: "What is the set of all things that are not part of a set?" THey serve to point out that it is possible to ask questions that have no meaningful answers. It's the linguistic version of an infinite loop.

I believe that "anomalies" are a mathematical equivalent of a theoretical paradox. THis means that if the formulas to a theory are crunched, and you two different values for what should be the same thing, something is obviously wrong with the theory.

Sez the atheist: "Get rid of the beard, long hair and robe. That's an old tired cliché. Instead, do something that really awes. Take an episode out of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits TV show. Don't try to prove anything about your divinity. I'm just not buying. Instead, leave me speechless, even scared."

Originally posted by quartodeciman
Sez the atheist: "Get rid of the beard, long hair and robe. That's an old tired cliché. Instead, do something that really awes. Take an episode out of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits TV show. Don't try to prove anything about your divinity. I'm just not buying. Instead, leave me speechless, even scared."

Well fine, but that's basically what I just said.

Sorry! Wrong topic. {BLUSH}

1. What is a paradox?

A paradox is a statement or situation that seems to contradict itself, but may actually be true or valid despite appearing to be illogical or self-contradictory.

2. What causes paradoxes?

Paradoxes can be caused by logical, linguistic, or mathematical inconsistencies or contradictions. They can also arise from unexpected or counterintuitive results in scientific experiments.

3. What is the theory behind paradoxes?

The theory behind paradoxes is that they challenge our understanding of reality and reveal flaws in our logical reasoning. They also highlight the limitations of language and the human mind in comprehending complex concepts.

4. Can paradoxes be resolved?

Some paradoxes can be resolved through further analysis and clarification of the underlying concepts. However, others may remain unsolvable and continue to challenge our understanding of the world.

5. How are paradoxes relevant to science?

Paradoxes are relevant to science because they can lead to new discoveries and insights, as well as exposing flaws in existing theories. They also demonstrate the importance of critical thinking and questioning assumptions in scientific research.