What percentage is in the form of neutral molecules?

In summary, when two 325mg aspirin tablets are dissolved in a full stomach with a volume of 1L and a pH of 2, approximately 96.7% of the aspirin is in the form of neutral molecules.
4LeafClover
Question:
If two aspirin tablets, each having a mass of 325mg, are dissolved in a full stomach whose volume is 1L and whose pH is 2, what percent of the aspirin is in the form of neutral molecules? (At body temperature, the Ka for aspirin = 3*10^-5)

My Work:
I know that the molecular formula for aspirin is C9H8O4. This means that aspirin has a molecular weight of 180 g/mol. 650 mg of aspirin is equal to 3.6*10^-3 moles of aspirin.
I also know that the stomach produces gastric acid which is primarily hydrochloric acid. Because the stomach has a pH of 2, then [H+] is 0.01M. Because HCl is a strong acid, we can assume that it completely ionizes and so [H+] is equal to the initial concentration of HCl. I also am pretty sure that I am going to need to use the formula for percent ionization which is ([H+]/initial concentration) x 100. Since ionization is the conversion of a neutral atom into a charged ion, I would have to subtract the percent ionized from 100% in order to get the percent of neutral molecules.

My train of thought has led me to believe that my equation will be [H+]/initial concentration of HCl x 100, but the [H+] is not just concentration H+ given by HCl - I also have to take into account the aspirin to get the right [H+]. I am going to need to set something equal to the Ka of aspirin (presumably x^2/3.6*10^-3) which gives me x = [H+] = [C9H7O4-] = 3.29*10^-4.

So what I am wondering is, did I do this work correctly? If so, how do I proceed from here? Just put the x value/initial concentration of HCl? If I did this incorrectly, where did I go wrong and what do I need to do to fix it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!Answer:Your work is mostly correct. To calculate the percent of neutral molecules, you need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which is pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where [A-] and [HA] are the concentrations of the conjugate base (aspirin in this case) and acid (HCl in this case), respectively. In your case, since the pH is 2, the pKa is 3*10^-5, and the initial concentration of HCl is 0.01M, then the equation becomes 2 = 3*10^-5 + log([A-]/0.01). Rearranging this equation yields [A-] = 10^(2-3*10^-5) x 0.01 = 3.29*10^-4. This is the same value you got by setting Ka equal to x^2/3.6*10^-3. Now that you have [A-], you can calculate the percent of neutral molecules using the equation 100 - ([A-]/[HCl]) x 100, where [A-] = 3.29*10^-4 and [HCl] = 0.01M. This gives you a percent of neutral molecules of 96.7%.

Related to What percentage is in the form of neutral molecules?

1. What are neutral molecules?

Neutral molecules are atoms or groups of atoms that have no net electrical charge. This means that the number of positively charged protons is equal to the number of negatively charged electrons.

2. How are neutral molecules different from ions?

Unlike neutral molecules, ions have a net electrical charge due to the loss or gain of electrons. Positive ions, or cations, have more protons than electrons, while negative ions, or anions, have more electrons than protons.

3. How is the percentage of neutral molecules calculated?

The percentage of neutral molecules is calculated by dividing the number of neutral molecules by the total number of molecules in a given sample, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

4. What factors can affect the percentage of neutral molecules?

The percentage of neutral molecules can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules or ions in the sample. These factors can influence the balance between positively and negatively charged particles and can result in the formation of more or less neutral molecules.

5. Why is it important to know the percentage of neutral molecules in a sample?

Knowing the percentage of neutral molecules in a sample can provide important information about the properties and behavior of the substance. It can also help scientists understand the interactions between different particles in the sample and how they contribute to the overall composition and behavior of the substance.