What Percent of Final Charge Does a Capacitor Reach After 4.5 Time Constants?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of charging a capacitor in an RC circuit. It mentions that after a time equal to 4.5 time constants, the capacitor will have a certain percentage of the final charge. The equation Q = Qo [1 - e^(-t/RC)] is used to calculate this percentage, with t = 4.5RC. The conversation ends with the confirmation that e^(-4.5) is the correct expression to use in the equation.
itryphysics

Homework Statement

Consider an RC circuit in which a capacitor is being charged by a battery connected in a circuit. Initially the capacitor is uncharged. Then the switch is closed.
After a time equal to 4.5 time constants, what percent of the final charge is present on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

Q = Qo [1 - e^ (-t/RC)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I picked a value of 100 for Qo
so
Q= 100 [1 - e^ (-t/4.5)]
my approach was going to be to find Q and then see wht percent that is of the initial charge Qo
but I don't know wht to put in for the time "t"
please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would take t = 4.5RC

so for the expression e^(-t/RC) I do e^(-4.5) ?

4.5 time constants means a time of 4.5*R*C.
R*C comes out in units of time.

itryphysics said:
so for the expression e^(-t/RC) I do e^(-4.5) ?

Yes that should do it.

Awsome! Thank you so much!

Related to What Percent of Final Charge Does a Capacitor Reach After 4.5 Time Constants?

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. These circuits are commonly used in electronics for filtering, timing, and signal processing.

2. How does an RC circuit charge?

When a voltage is applied to an RC circuit, the capacitor begins to charge. The resistor limits the flow of current, so the capacitor charges gradually. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases until it reaches the same voltage as the source.

3. What is the final charge of an RC circuit?

The final charge of an RC circuit is the maximum voltage that the capacitor can reach. This voltage is determined by the capacitance of the capacitor and the voltage of the source.

4. How do you calculate the final charge of an RC circuit?

The final charge of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the final charge, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and V is the voltage of the source.

5. How does the resistance and capacitance affect the final charge of an RC circuit?

The final charge of an RC circuit is directly proportional to the capacitance and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that a larger capacitance or a smaller resistance will result in a higher final charge. Additionally, a larger resistance will cause the capacitor to charge more slowly, while a larger capacitance will allow the capacitor to hold more charge.